Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace all the 4 worned out Bridgstone Tyres (OEM 235/60R16H).

However, the price is the same for the Toyo TAA11. Therefore I have a choice. The only thing in my mind is that I still have a spare which is the Bridgestone. So at the moment it is less favourable for me to go for Toyo. Any comment and suggestions are welcome. By the way I'm in the UK and the price is £370 for 4 tyres fitted.

:)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you stay with OEM, then I personally would stick to the Bridgestone’s.

Is your Spare used at all?

If not when it comes time to rotate your new set (If Bstones) then replace the spare with one of the other 4.

With the AWD system you want all 4 tires to be warn evenly.

We pay around $220 US each installed in Canada. I think the OEM’s prices are exaggerated :shock: .

BTW how many km did you get out of your Bridgestone’s?

Good luck,

Walt

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try the Yokohama Geolanders!!! :D After you have these tires you will realize quickly that the Toyos are terrible!
Check out tirerack.com to see the reviews for tires used by Rav4 drivers to satisfy your own doubts.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have Yokohama Geolanders on the front axle and Dunlop Grandtreks on the rear axle of my 96 RAV4. The Geolanders crap all over the Grandtreks.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mionee67 said:
If you stay with OEM, then I personally would stick to the Bridgestone’s.

Is your Spare used at all?

If not when it comes time to rotate your new set (If Bstones) then replace the spare with one of the other 4.

With the AWD system you want all 4 tires to be warn evenly.

We pay around $220 US each installed in Canada. I think the OEM’s prices are exaggerated :shock: .

BTW how many km did you get out of your Bridgestone’s?

Good luck,

Walt

I have covered 40,000 miles on BStone and still got 3mm left on the treads.

Any folks from UK? Has anyone tried using www.etyre.co.uk ?

NoMoreToy.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I almost got the Geolanders but I got a better deal on the Coopers and price is the most important factor to me right now.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff,

What Cooper tires did you buy and how are their performance?
Noise and traction?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have the Cooper Discoverer H/T in the factory size, 215/70/16 and I got them at the end of last summer because the second set of OEM Toyos were finally shot. I had settled on either the Yokahama Geolanders or the Cooper Discoverers, and ultimately got the Coopers. My father has the same exact Cooper tires (albeit larger) on his GMC Yukon, and they have performed well considering he never gets the truck aligned or the tires rotated, and runs the tires until they are bald. I think he has over 60K miles on his current set right now and they still have some tread left. In the end I decided on those Coopers because they were carried by my preferred local tire shop, and have had good experiences with Cooper tires in the past. The final price including mounting was the same for both tires, but I figured the Coopers would last longer and be more rugged (resistant to punctures) based on what other people have told me.

Overall, I would say they are a good all-purpose tire. They are not high-performance by any means, but they are perfectly suited to the Rav, since it is not high-performance in the first place. I had about 12K miles on the Coopers before I switched over to my snow tires recently, and they seem to be holding up well. Both wet and dry traction is good, and although I don't think they "grab" the pavement as well as softer tires, they don't lock up or skid easily, which is nice since I don't have ABS. What I mean by "grabbing" the pavement is that with the Coopers it feels like I have to push the brakes a little harder to stop as quick, however I'm not referring to the tires locking up. I think it has to do with the tread compound on the tire being a little harder in order to increase the treadlife of the tire. But it's not something the average driver would notice. Also, the tires are relatively quiet, although there is still some noise which is to be expected of any SUV tire, but it's not any worse than the noise from the Rav's engine on the highway.

I could have gotten a higher-performance tire, but cost and lifespan were very important to me since I'm a graduate student who can't afford to shell out money for new tires all the time, and I drive about 30K miles a year. So that extra treadlife I'll get with the Coopers adds up to cost savings in the long run.

What I do know is that the rule "you get what you pay for" can't be applied to tires. Just because a tire (such as Michelin or Goodyear) costs more than some of its competitors does not mean it's a better tire.

That's just my .02

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmmm them tyres look a little strange.
Id need to see what they were like in real world use before id decide. Looks like it came off a bike.

Back to the question of tyres.
When you buy expensive tyres - can you honestly tell its been worth it? ie, will the rubber last a bit longer than for a modestly priced set? When i view the technology behind some of these tyres - i think Wow!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went from the Dueler 235/60/16 to some Long Trail T/A 225/70/16. They gives a smooth ride, very comfortable and offer a better "off-road" traction than the Dueler . And they're not expensives tires! I'd buy it again.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tyres fitted

I ordered the B'Stone OEM tyres from www.etyres.co.uk.

I had the tyres fitted yesterday but the mobile fitter wasn't trust worhty. He took the wheel lock nut's cover. Dam it!

NoMoreToy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts