Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is only my second post. I just posted in the intro forum.
I'm considering buying a Rav 4.4,, Im looking at the various upgrades for the different models. There's lots to choose from, so i'd like to know what add-ons do you think have been worth the investment.
For example, the upgraded rear view mirrors(auto dimming?) look cool, but i don't know if they are worth the investment?
Moonroofs look nice, but not sure about the potential for leaks.
Sound system upgrade doesn't get high marks, although maybe its been improved for 2016.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
The auto dimming mirror on mine is crappy if you ask me, I wouldn't spend a penny for it, it's not dark enough and there's no option I know of to make it as dark as a manual mirror like the one in my 2006 4.3 was, I miss it every time I drive at night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Quickdtoo,
I've always had manual mirrors, but thought this would be a useful upgrade. Sounds like at least for you, its not.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
On the other hand, I really love the autodimming mirror that came on my RAV4. It works perfectly, and I especially miss it when driving my other cars at night. The digital compass, while cool, is of limited value. I'd rather have one with built-in Homelink.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
On the other hand, I really love the autodimming mirror that came on my RAV4. It works perfectly, and I especially miss it when driving my other cars at night. The digital compass, while cool, is of limited value. I'd rather have one with built-in Homelink.
Ditto.
I installed a Gentex on my wife's 4.4 (no compass or temp, just the mirror) and it's awesome.

Factory options, we got the XLE with the convenience package... moonroof, Premium sound/Nav. She didn't want the Softex seats, prefers fabric, and I didn't want to spend the extra bucks for the Limited anyways.

Within a month of picking it up, I had installed the body side moldings, Gentex mirror, hood struts, cargo hammock, LED interior and license plate lights, and dashcam.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The Gentex mirror with compass works great for me - I installed it myself. For a complete list of the mods on my XLE check out my signature.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts

My best friend for 44yrs has a 2012 4.3 Limited with autodim mirror, he hates his as well, just doesn't dim enough just like my 4.4 Limited....maybe it's just an old guy thing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There were four option packages that came with my 4.4 and I really didn't have an opportunity to delete them. The only way would to be to order a new built model with only the options I wanted. These four were the tech package, JBL radio package, carpet floor mats, and door sill decal. Given a choice, I would have deleted the mats and door sill thingy. The model I got was the Limited version, so it came with all the 'bells and whistles', no choice.

When purchasing the car, I ordered the foul-weather rubber mats and body edge molding. Had to take the car in several days later for the installation of those things. The next day, I ordered a Curt trailer hitch, wiring kit and mud flaps. Off Amazon. I spent Friday installing the hitch and mud flaps. Both were pretty mindless and simple, (hitch and mud flaps - the wiring kit will come on a day when I can tear the interior out for proper installation). The only other thing I'm considering getting is either 16" or 17" wheels. Haven't decided which yet.

I'm loving the radio. Been using Pandora mostly. XM sucks. Like the MP3 data CD playing capability. Sound quality is pretty good.

Yeah, don't care much for the auto-dim mirror. My Lexus has one and I hate it. Might put in an old-fashioned flip mirror, but some here say to try the new auto mirror for awhile, then decide. I will, but so far, am not impressed. Same complaint. Doesn't dim enough.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Don't forget the fuzzy dice:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All this info is valuable in making a decision. Thanks.
I think aftermarket accessories would be much cheaper than buying from Toyota.
Not sure about a factory installed sound system. I think aftermarket speakers. would probably sound better and be cheaper than factory installed. More speaker choices as well.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Fuzzy dice!
Just like we did in the 1960's. (Just revealed my approx. age!)
Yeah, I saw that one in the WalMart parking lot today and thought of you for some reason!

·
Registered
424 Posts
All this info is valuable in making a decision. Thanks.
I think aftermarket accessories would be much cheaper than buying from Toyota.
Not sure about a factory installed sound system. I think aftermarket speakers. would probably sound better and be cheaper than factory installed. More speaker choices as well.
Oops. Just re-read your original post and you asked if we thought the options were worth it.

The JBL radio? Definitely worth it. Even comes with a sub-woofer. Not the window vibrating kind that "thump, thump, thumps" as the car goes down the street. However the overall sound quality is every bit as good as my Mark Levinson audio system in my Lexus. Only thing I don't like is that it does not seem to carry over my speaker settings from mode to mode, (i.e., balanced to the right and rear, tweeter down two 'clicks' and base up two 'clicks').

Technology package? I'm mixed on that. It's kinda expensive, but I can see where it will easily save me that amount by being warned about a possible collision about to happen. I'll think of it as 'insurance'.

Carpet mats? To me, not worth it. But that is only because I wanted the rubber mats. It's gonna rain a lot this winter/spring in SoCal. In fact, on Saturday, the day after I put the mats in, it did indeed rain. (Well, maybe just spit for a few minutes.) My Lexus came with rubber floor mats and I thought, "Huh, in a Lexus? How cheezy.", at first. But I've really come to like how they protect the carpet. Easy enough to clean.

Door sill applique? Not worth it. Then again, it was only $65. If I had a do-over, I'd delete, purchase them off Amazon and install them myself. They are just stickies. It's just bling and not large enough to really protect the paint from shoe scuffs.

Roof rack cross bars? Worth it, to me. I use them, (kayak, bikes, etc.) If they didn't already come with the car, I'd get a set off Amazon or eBay for about 1/3 to 1/2 the dealer price. They are simple to install and remove. The longitudinal rails are pretty much worthless without cross bars.

Trailer hitch? This is a personal decision. I will no longer be able to haul my Vespa around on the hitch carrier because the car/hitch only has a 150 pound tongue weight. I'd have to get a small trailer instead. I got the hitch mostly for by the bike rack.

AWD? Definitely worth it! That was my primary 'option' and I would not have purchased a RAV4 if it were only available in FWD. There are not many AWDs in SoCal, so my options in color were quite limited. I'll be retiring next August and will be moving to a northern Rocky Mountain region where AWD is necessary in the winter.

The other options that came as part of the Limited trim package? Mixed. There is a substantial premium going from the XLE to a Limited. Of all the 'upgrades' when going to a Limited, there were enough that paying the few thou extra was worth it. Some of the stuff I really don't care about, and some are downright disadvantages, such as 18" wheels, which result in better handling but a car that rides like a brick. Overall, going with the Limited was worth it, to me.

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great post volosong,
I heard the JBL system is not that good, but I guess it's all subjective.As long as you like it that's what counts!
First and foremost for me is a car that's reliable because this'will probably be my last car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Junebug,
You don't see too many cars with the fuzzy dice anymore, but if you want to think about me every time you see the them you have my permission!:+1:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Great post volosong,
I heard the JBL system is not that good, but I guess it's all subjective.As long as you like it that's what counts!
First and foremost for me is a car that's reliable because this'will probably be my last car.
Thanks. Probably my last car too, and like you, reliability is paramount. If I just wanted a 'snow car', I would have purchased a Subaru. But, they have their issues. Much more so that Toyota.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts