Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about air filters? Actually, about its shape. I heard
that 'mushroom'-shaped filter is better than 'cone'-shaped, cause it absorbs air with all its surface, which is bigger than cone has :roll:
How do you think, is it true, or it doesn't matter?
P.S. Sorry for mistakes in names, if any. I don't know how they are called in English, so translated them literaly :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums Snowman. :D

Good question you ask. There really is no simple answer to your question. Because there are other factors to consider as well such as: size of the air filter, material being used, location of the filter, etc.

There are also cone shaped filters with a closed end and those with open ends. You are correct in stating that mushroom type filters have more surface area in which air can enter, but with all things being equal; my opinion is that there is a negligible difference between the two shapes. I guess it all comes down to preference. :p

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, Derek.
I think I'll choose the mushroom, I like how it looks. :shock:

Could you please advise me, which one should I take? I mean the size, material, brand...? And also about how many HP it will give? I got my Rav4 recently, it's stock, without any modifications, so now I want to make it more powerful! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If I were to choose a "mushroom" type air pod, it would be an HKS filter. Make sure you get an original one though, there are a lot of fake HKS style filters out there; especially on ebay. :?

If you want true performance, however, you will need to find a way to enclose the air filter and feed direct cool air into it. Check out my former system:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683136/2

Others here have done it with amazing results. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts