Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've sourced hitches from e-trailer.com before and they have both an in-house brand and Curt hitches. They require no cutting and have very high ground clearance. I chose their in-house brand for $149, shipped free. I'll have U-Haul install this hitch, as they were 2 months out on delivery, and wire it up for about $375. Local dealer wanted $1,305!! Photos look excellant. Not much of a decision on how to go either!!

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's a thought: If you buy the hitch from U-Haul, they'll install it for $ 50.00. You could buy the 4-pin wiring kit and do this yourself, the toyota part has online directions with photos. You just need a plastic putty knife to pop out the panels. The wiring will be better off inside anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I considered all of that. My U-Haul won't have any RAV4 hitches for a couple months, so bought one on e-trailer and U-Haul will do the rest. I have no nice, dry, warm place to do it myself and wouldn't if I did!! Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally got around to installing a hitch on the RAV4 (2021 w/PP). I ended up going with Curt since it was half the price of the Torklift Ecohitch. The clearance isn’t a big issue for me. The Curt was quick and easy to install. I didn’t drop the exhaust or do anything other than remove the tie down bracket. It took about an hour by myself with no jack or ratcheting end wrenches (but I highly suggest using them on the driver’s side).
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille

Wood Tree Yellow Tool Measuring instrument

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice looking installation. I went with the erailer house-brand hitch that is, of course, sold by etrailer.com. It's even a little less expensive than the Curt brand which I've used on a previous vehicle. They look identical and the end result looks exactly like yours, so I didn't include a photo. I had U-Haul do all the installation and wiring and they did charge me $202US for labor and the wiring kit. BTW, I checked with the local Toyota Dealer, and they wanted $1,305 to do much the same thing. I came in at around $350!!!

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice looking installation. I went with the erailer house-brand hitch that is, of course, sold by etrailer.com. It's even a little less expensive than the Curt brand which I've used on a previous vehicle. They look identical and the end result looks exactly like yours, so I didn't include a photo. I had U-Haul do all the installation and wiring and they did charge me $202US for labor and the wiring kit. BTW, I checked with the local Toyota Dealer, and they wanted $1,305 to do much the same thing. I came in at around $350!!!

Tom
Yeah, the OEM hitch is not worth the cost or hole in the bumper in my opinion. This one I could take off and the vehicle is back to factory.
I have yet to install the wiring harness. That’ll add another couple hours.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My friend installed the Curt " partially because he's lazy " and didn't want to remove the bumper even when I told him I would help and
I took measurements there is a 4 inch different between my OEM and his Curt in ground clearance

·
Registered
93 Posts
After researching the various aftermarket hitches for our 2021 RAV4PP I went with the OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer’s products. It is the only one that looks right and doesn’t hang below the bumper. View attachment 177422
'Looing right' is certainly in the eye of the beholder. For $1,305 you should have at least received a better-looking electrical termination. Granted, my eTrailer, Curt look-a-like, only has wires that store in the "trunk", but it's a clean look that doesn't violate the bumper.

Tom

·
Registered
139 Posts
'Looing right' is certainly in the eye of the beholder. For $1,305 you should have at least received a better-looking electrical termination. Granted, my eTrailer, Curt look-a-like, only has wires that store in the "trunk", but it's a clean look that doesn't violate the bumper.

Tom
Opinions as they say are like a specific hole, and that hole is one everyone has. That said I appreciate your opinion. I agree that the trailer light plug in that photo is in the wrong spot, and I pointed it out to the dealer service manager and was scheduled for a few days later for them to correct that and the fact that they scratched the bumper at the over sized hole they made. They replaced the entire section of the bumper that they damaged, cut the new hole correctly and relocated the plug. It was a pain but they did so at zero cost to me, and extended my maintenance program as a sorry we screwed up gift. It’s done properly and we are happy with it. If you were concerned about the cost of the OEM hitch and install cost then I understand, we weren’t worried about the cost as much as having the OEM parts installed. We know that Toyota builds or has their outsourced accessories built to their specifications. It’s a matter of choice, and we are happy with ours. Glad that you are happy with yours as well, at least for now. I used to manage an accessory shop for off road vehicles and trucks, and we sold Curt products along with whatever the customers asked for, so I am very familiar with the differences in quality, materials and the warranty fail rates on them. By the way isn’t looing a way of saying shitting by the Brits? Zero shits given here. All in jest however, I am good with choices, being yours theirs and ours.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Opinions as they say are like a specific hole, and that hole is one everyone has. That said I appreciate yours. I agree that the trailer light plug in that photo is in the wrong spot, and I pointed it out to the dealer service manager and was scheduled for a few days later for them to correct that and the fact that they scratched the bumper at the over sized while they made. They replaced the entire section of the bumper that they damaged, cut the new one correctly and relocated the plug. It was a pain but they did so at zero cost to me, and extended my maintenance program as a sorry we screwed up gift. It’s done properly and we are happy with it. If you were concerned about the cost of the OEM hitch and install cost then I understand, we weren’t worried about the cost as much as having the OEM parts installed. We know that Toyota builds or has their outsourced accessories to their specifications. It’s a matter of choice, and we are happy with ours. Glad that you are happy with yours as well, at least for now. I used to manage an accessory shop for off road and trucks, and we sold Curt products along with whatever the customers asked for, so I am very familiar with the differences in quality, materials and the warranty fail rates on them. By the way isn’t looing a way of saying shitting by the Brits? Zero shits given here.
One of the reasons I installed my Ecohitch was I saw too many pictures posted of the hack-job hitch installations done at dealerships.

·
Registered
139 Posts
One of the reasons I installed my Ecohitch was I saw too many pictures posted of the hack-job hitch installations done at dealerships.
Mostly sloppy bumper cutouts and then the black molding around the cutout was either not applied at all or not formed well to the cutout.
The second time around the dealership left the molding off of mine. The first time it was installed in multiple pieces and looked ridiculously like a child had installed it. When they cut the second one and then painted the bumper it came out beautifully and looks by far better in my opinion. I guess I should have mentioned that they damaged the original bumper when cutting it, and I made them replace it at no cost.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts