Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Tow Hitches is best for the 2021 Toyota RAV4? Can anyone give me some ideas?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would go with the OEM one and install it yourself, if you are inclined and have the right tools.
Most people get scared when they notice that you have to remove the rear bumper and cut it but just take your time and it will come out perfectly. Most DIY hitch installs I've seen on this forum have been much better then dealer installs.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
113 Posts
Torklift EcoHitch. Much easier install than OEM.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Which Tow Hitches is best for the 2021 Toyota RAV4? Can anyone give me some ideas?
If you have the foot activated rear hatch option, the sensor bracket assembly is right behind where the OEM hitch requires a hole to be cut. There is a work-around video where this bracket is modified and the feature still works but just something to keep in mind if you have this option.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
113 Posts
And lower to the ground, possible scraping.
No it is not lower to the ground. The Ecohitch has the same ground clearance as the OEM. It comes with instructions to cut the rear bumper fascia because it sits high. The Curt & U-Haul hitchs all sit lower to the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No it is not lower to the ground. The Ecohitch has the same ground clearance as the OEM. It comes with instructions to cut the rear bumper fascia because it sits high. The Curt & U-Haul hitchs all sit lower to the ground.
That is not true, it's the closest one to the OEM but it still is a couple of inches lower. OEM punches through the bumper while the Ecohitch tucks in to a much smaller (and apparently not necessary) cut to the very bottom. There is a thread on here with measurements for all of them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
42 Posts
Is there any afterma hitch that has the same clearance as the oem one? The wait time for the oem is 1 month + at the moment and I really don’t want to wait that long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a Curt hitch that I modified for ground clearance.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is there any afterma hitch that has the same clearance as the oem one? The wait time for the oem is 1 month + at the moment and I really don’t want to wait that long.
I'm a former EcoHitch owner, and I chose the OEM hitch as its at least two inches higher, has more bolt-on attachments, and doesn't reduce my towing capacity by more than a few pounds. If I leave the stock bumper in place, it reduces my towing capacity. I have watched both the Ecohitch and OEM hitch installs on YouTube, and the OEM is obviously about two inches higher off the ground.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
More details and photos please! What did you do? Re-weld?
I had that same thought, but probably 4 new mounting holes were drilled in the hitch bracket so it could be installed higher up. Depending on clearance, the now extra bracket material would need to be trimmed.
I guess I was wrong on all counts :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cut up the curt hitch, made some new brackets and re-welded. The curt hitch I bought on ebay was a dent-n-scratch / open box so it was cheap to begin with.
Looks great! Glad there's someone else out there doing custom hitches. I'm going to pick up a Curt hitch and see if I can make my own version of the EcoHitch Stealth model. Something like this but with the receiver coming out of the bottom of the crossbar:
Output device Computer monitor accessory Gadget Camera accessory Machine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks great! Glad there's someone else out there doing custom hitches. I'm going to pick up a Curt hitch and see if I can make my own version of the EcoHitch Stealth model. Something like this but with the receiver coming out of the bottom of the crossbar:
View attachment 172748
That is a cool idea, I haven't really seen the eco-hitch design before until now. It is a pretty interesting idea. Please keep us all updated!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts