Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Which Toyota dealerships aren't charging markups?

752 19
I'm doing a cross country road trip in my 2002 Saturn L200 and I'm ready to upgrade to a Toyota RAV4. I found markups.org and was able to figure out a few dealers who aren't charging markups or requiring dealer add ons (Mark Miller Toyota of Salt Lake City and Toyota of Vallejo). The former has a 6 to 12 month wait and the latter has a RAV4 in stock but is 6 hours away from my destination (Los Angeles). I'm wondering if anyone knows any other dealers along my route (Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, Kansas City, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles) that aren't charging markups? (By markups I mean no market adjustment and minimal (under $200) dealer addons) Thanks!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm doing a cross country road trip in my 2002 Saturn L200 and I'm ready to upgrade to a Toyota RAV4. I found markups.org and was able to figure out a few dealers who aren't charging markups or requiring dealer add ons (Mark Miller Toyota of Salt Lake City and Toyota of Vallejo). The former has a 6 to 12 month wait and the latter has a RAV4 in stock but is 6 hours away from my destination (Los Angeles). I'm wondering if anyone knows any other dealers along my route (Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, Kansas City, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles) that aren't charging markups? (By markups I mean no market adjustment and minimal (under $200) dealer addons) Thanks!
My experience has been dealers are charging 2K above msrp or charging 2K for add ons that are worth under $500.

No in between. GM, Ford, Toyota making record profits. Is there still a chip shortage or just manufactured to increase cost ? Cruel world !

My dream is the economy/inflation/int rates will change the market. I want to pass by a dealership and see them standing outside with signs "will work for food".

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,791 Posts
Tony Divino Toyota in Ogden, Utah was not charging over MSRP last year when I bought my RAV4. My son is ordering a Prius from him, and he is charging $1000 over MSRP, but refunds that if you finance locally (a local credit union, bank, or Toyota financial). He said he had to do that because to many out of state dealers were coming and buying up his allocations and then selling them for huge markups in the other states. However, the wait time at Tony Divino is months long.

·
Registered
461 Posts
A new video posted yesterday from the YAA channel (youtube from above) indicating how low the inventory is of Toyota and Honda (and even Chrysler).
RAV4 inventory is only down 65% whereas other hot Toyota cars are down 90%.

If OP is taking a cross-country road trip and drives home in a new RAV4, he either got an LE that people walked by in the lot or got super duper lucky.
Best tip to OP is use GPS to locate Toyota dealers within your preferred radius every few hours and stop at them all until you find one.

·
Registered
Waiting 2022 RAV4 Trail - ETA 🎃
51 Posts
Well I just found my model ( real close anyway) of the RAV4 that I factory ordered, the dealer is charging + 12,000.00 from my MSRP order, and it's gas. So I will still wait.

Lets hope they don't boost the price when it comes in.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I just found my model ( real close anyway) of the RAV4 that I factory ordered, the dealer is charging + 12,000.00 from my MSRP order, and it's gas. So I will still wait.

Lets hope they don't boost the price when it comes in.
You are covered from Toyota markups if you have a contract but dealership could still add a markup. Unless you have a contract with the final purchase price already set.
I had to get into contract the day I decided on taking the vehicle (about 2 weeks early).... I knew my final price at that time. Well aside from trade/down payment.

If the dealership said with words only, "Yep, it will cost you this much" then you shouldn't be surprised if the price is different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If OP is taking a cross-country road trip and drives home in a new RAV4, he either got an LE that people walked by in the lot or got super duper lucky.
Actually I'm looking at the LE. Do people not want them in general? Is there a reason not to get the LE? I just don't care about options, I'm coming from a 2002 Saturn so the base already has so many new features for me haha.

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
169 Posts
You are covered from Toyota markups if you have a contract but dealership could still add a markup. Unless you have a contract with the final purchase price already set.
I had to get into contract the day I decided on taking the vehicle (about 2 weeks early).... I knew my final price at that time. Well aside from trade/down payment.

If the dealership said with words only, "Yep, it will cost you this much" then you shouldn't be surprised if the price is different.
I’m not sure I follow you. In order to get a contract, you have to agree on a price. That price will have whatever markups or additional charges you agreed upon. I haven’t heard of a contract that didn’t have the agreed upon price clearly listed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Actually I'm looking at the LE. Do people not want them in general? Is there a reason not to get the LE? I just don't care about options, I'm coming from a 2002 Saturn so the base already has so many new features for me haha.
Nope, there isn't anything wrong with the LE.
Two thoughts: based on the cost, the XLE with some options is a better bargain if a person care about "I got X features for X cost". It's like buying bulk, get more of what you didn't need for cheaper per unit. ha
Second -a large number of consumers want vehicles above the base model.

My friends purchaed an LE the day after it rolled off the truck. They were accidently there the day it arrived. Ended up deciding on it, however it wasn't ready for sale yet so it took a day (or maybe a couple). There was another person walking up to it though after my friends told the salesman they wanted it. Salesman never let the keys out of sight. That was mid February, things were slightly different then.
Not a lot of LE's are spoken for in advance (I don't have proof or know for fact) like the more desirable models are. You would probably need to take the list of dealership names from this thread and call them letting them know "I'd love to by a RAV4 that isn't clamed, an LE would be fine". Maybe they can let you know when their shipment is set to arrive.
Or be as lucky as my friend were and be there before somebody else swoops it up.
It's a very difficult time to buy at the moment due to all the manufacturers cutting production and an already near impossible inventory.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree with the poster above me. Nothing wrong with the LE if you’re not in the mood to Treat Yo’ Self. My wife and I never bought a car without cloth seats, so we wanted to get SofTex with Toyota. That alone puts you up a couple of trim levels. We also really liked the painted bumpers and trim around the wheel wells. It looks sharp as hell. We wanted a hybrid. Boom, you have now arrived at XSE.

If cloth seats, no fancy wheels from factory, no moonroof are good for you then LE is where it’s at!

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,791 Posts
Nothing wrong with an LE. My son put a deposit for a Prius LE a month ago. There are 12 people on the waiting list ahead of us for a Prius, but we are now first in line for an LE; apparently all the others want something higher. So far,, only 3 Prius have come up on the dealers allocation list and all of them were LE, albeit one was AWD which we don't want.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I drove my friends LE a month or more before I bought my car.
I had test driven 2 other used vehicles from the car lots, One may have been LE. I think both had a physical key and I don't know when you get a smart key in the XLE line though.
I didn't know what I was looking at with my friends' LE but it was nice. Seat comfort was there (same for the 2 I did a test drive in). Features were there. The screen was small and I can't see detail that close to my face (I can't read some of the MID on my XSE to put it in perspective). So bigger is better for screen size for me.

The LE gets the job done, anything else is just frills.
The Friends' car is the midnight black -for the base model car, it does look nice driving down the road. I think even the LE models have LED headlights. I sort of wish I had fog lights, the XSE (2022) went with an accent light vs fog) but its not a deal breaker. I went for appearance, the vertical light was almost in 'deal breaker' territory. Fogs would be nice but very infrequently for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You are certainly correct that Mark Miller Toyota (which is my dealer) does not charge any mark up on the MSRP. I just spoke to my salesman yesterday. He says at his dealership they have 300 in line for a new RAV4, and the realistic wait time is 12 to 18 months if one wants to order a RAV4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not on your route but Hosselton Toyota in Fairport, NY sold us a new unit at MSRP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts