Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I just bought the wrong filter for my car. The one I bought looks like this:

But I think that I need to get this one:

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Do you have links for each?
You might not even have a "filter" per se. I had the wire strainers. Looked clean but I replace it with a filtered media.

Pictures sometimes do not represent the actual item. Do you have the newly purchased filter in front of you?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Yeah, the one you bought is for the 5-speed transmission on the V6.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rock Auto shows pictures of both for the 2.5L 2012 RAV4. So I am curious what the OP is actually getting in the mail.

2012 TOYOTA RAV4 2.5L L4 Filter | RockAuto
I bought the WIX 58010 filter from rock auto. It looks just like the one I pictured at the top. It was listed under the 2.5L section like you pointed out. I crossed referenced it with many other sites that all listed it as the filter for the 2.5L.

Vanib, I am a bit confused. You say above that you only have a screen. But in your post you changed out this filter

Are you saying this filter is nothing more than just a screen.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
The filter on the right only has a metal screen. Think fine metal coffee filter. It had caught nothing. I suppose it is designed to only capture only really big particles. If you look at the other pictures on my post, they show part of the metal screen.

The beige elements that you see on the right filter is an actual media filter, maybe cellulose.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get it. The media itself is just a fine mesh screen. On some cars I have seen just a exposed scree soldered or crimped in place.

It is unfortunate that the WIX 58010 filter is listed for both the 4 and the 6 cylinder RAVs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts