Santa Fe Sport base
HP 185 @ 6000 rpm Torque 178 4000 rpm curb weight 3624

HP + 9
Torque + 6
Weight +139

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gotta drive both to find out! The numbers are too similar to make the call. I include handling when comparing cars, power is nothing without control.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I drove both and also included the SF 2.0 AWD, which of course, was the quickest. I couldn't discern a difference between the Santa Fe and RAV.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I test drove the SFS 2.4L base model, hard to tell, perhaps very similar pickup but couldn't tell if it would be as fun to drive as Rav4.

The SFS 2017 with popular package ($1,500) makes it very comparable to 2016 XLE Rav4 in safety, MSRP and features.

MSRP Rav4 XLE - $27,220 (in theory, but in the SouthEast, mostly find $27,859 with Toyoguard $639 added) Truecar - $26,202

MSRP SFS (w pkg and common added accessories) - $27,925. Truecar - $25,186

So far, maybe others can add things I'm not thinking off (I'm more familiar with LE than XLE).

Pro SFS:

- roomier 2nd row and generally more hip and shoulder room

- power drivers seat with lumber (part of popular package $1,500)

- air vents for those in backseat (via side pillars, not sure how much air gets to them but my teens complain in the LE they don't get enough air).

- 7" display instead of 4.2" with apple carplay capability (part of popular package $1,500)

Pro Rav4 XLE:

- moonroof

- liftgate

For the items I use or think I'd like to use, I think Carplay and liftgate would be the pros that would matter most for me as a driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I did read the links. But since I've never really considered a hybrid before, and today's gas prices don't encourage it, I don't know much about it. I didn't look into it guessing somehow I'd pay too much in purchase price to be worth it over conventional.

Do you chose if driving "with gas" or "with electricity" somehow? Do you have the new hybrid?

Is the car lighter weight than other Rav4's? I like a little weight in crash testing, knowing that so many other cars weigh more, had me thinking conventional Rav4 in the neighborhood of 3,500lbs would be as low as wanted to go.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
No one wants your outdated rav pico. Some of you v6 guys have such low self esteem.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Do you chose if driving "with gas" or "with electricity" somehow? Do you have the new hybrid?

Is the car lighter weight than other Rav4's? I like a little weight in crash testing, knowing that so many other cars weigh more, had me thinking conventional Rav4 in the neighborhood of 3,500lbs would be as low as wanted to go.

Hybrid weighs just under 4000 lbs, has 194hp and 206 ft/lbs torque, 0-60 is anywhere from 7.5 -8.1 secs depending on the roadtest report you read. It switches to and from battery and gas as needed, uses mostly battery at low speeds, if the traction battery is charged it will turn the gas engine off at stops so it's not wasting gas idling which =0mpg, I'm getting 34-39mpg so far. When gas goes back up to $4 a gallon or more, it will be much appreciated, it's already back to up $2.50 here.

I drove a 2006 V6 Rav4 for over 9yrs and a 2015 4.4 for a year before trading it in on the 2016 Hybrid, the Hybrid is more enjoyable to drive, I enjoy it more than either of the two prior Rav4s. The pocket rocket V6 was fun in its own way, but closing in on my 7th decade of life I find myself appreciating the Hybrid more than the other two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hybrid weighs just under 4000 lbs, has 194hp and 206 ft/lbs torque, 0-60 is anywhere from 7.5 -8.1 secs depending on the roadtest report you read. It switches to and from battery and gas as needed, uses mostly battery at low speeds, if the traction battery is charged it will turn the gas engine off at stops so it's not wasting gas idling which =0mpg, I'm getting 34-39mpg so far. When gas goes back up to $4 a gallon or more, it will be much appreciated, it's already back to up $2.50 here.
Is the frame and everything the same, just added weight to allow for battery/gas, such that the Rav4 crash tests are the same? I didn't see anything specific on iihs for hybrid crash testing of the Rav4.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Is the frame and everything the same, just added weight to allow for battery/gas, such that the Rav4 crash tests are the same? I didn't see anything specific on iihs for hybrid crash testing of the Rav4.

The extra weight is mostly from the traction battery I believe. The IIHS doesn't list the Highlander Hybrid separately either, but the detail has this statement:

The ratings of one vehicle often apply to other models if they are built on the same platform. In addition, a test of a vehicle from one model year may apply to earlier or later model years if the vehicle hasn't been significantly redesigned.

Autoblog shows the Hybrid having the same rating as the gas model.

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Crash Test Ratings

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Really? Want to race title for title?
Count me in! Some 4.4 RAV owners simply can't acknowledge that Toyota dropped the ball when then dropped the V6! :wink

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rav4 2016
HP 176 @ 6000 rpm Torque 172 @ 4100 rpm curb weight 3485
Santa Fe Sport base
HP 185 @ 6000 rpm Torque 178 4000 rpm curb weight 3624
Based on the specs you've given, the Rav as a power/weight ration of 50.5hp per 1000lbs and the Santa Fe has 51.0 (I still don't know why you guys wont use kw/tonne) :p You can't feel a difference that small on it's own.

In all honesty, the car that's going to feel 'peppier' is going to be the one that has:
1. The louder exhaust/engine (you'd be surprised how much faster you feel when your car gets loud)
2. The softer suspension (weight shift throws you around in your seat - feels super fast)
3. The one with the least amount of traction (nothing feels faster than squealing tyres)

Generally speaking though, with all other things being equal: Your ass can't tell the difference unless there's more at least a 10% power to weight ratio difference. So buy the car you like the best, soften your springs, drill some holes in your exhaust, turn off traction control and live the dream of having the fastest SUV on the road :wink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts