Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'99 awd automatic..getting a high pitch whine @ about 40 mph..increases with speed then goes away...
Intermittent, none yesterday..today it's there..
Sounds like it's driver side rear...back off accelerator..it goes away..also seemed to go away as tranny shifted..came back after shift. Imagine that's the same as backing of accelerator.
How many differentials in this car..someone posted 3..thought 2? Is the front one in the tranny or transfer case?
Any thoughts welcome..

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
My FIL had the rear differential seize up on his '99 RAV4 4WD with almost no warning a few years ago. I don't remember if there was any audio warning beforehand but it left skid marks on the road when it happened. Fortunately his elderly wife was driving and she never went over 40 mph. We replaced the differential with one from a wrecking yard and it's been running fine for a friend of mine who bought it from him. Interestingly the failed one was full of clean oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a problem like this. Happens between 4000 and 5000rpm, and gets louder within this RPM range the more throttle you have applied. Rear differential is leaking a little also. It sounds like a whistling air hose somewhere though, because it is dependent on load and RPM of the motor, not the overall speed the car is traveling at. Since the noise is not variable with torque hitting the rear wheel ( which would mean 1st and 2nd near the powerband peak would be the loudest ), i still suspect the problem is in the engine bay. Did you ever nail this down?

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,074 Posts
Alternators are often responsible for whining noises, it can kick in more at certain RPM's when the diodes are working harder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the lead.. that theory is easily testable by adding more electrical load and seeing if the noise changes in frequency or loudness. I will start my own thread when i am ready to start diagnosing this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'99 awd automatic..getting a high pitch whine @ about 40 mph..increases with speed then goes away...
Intermittent, none yesterday..today it's there..
Sounds like it's driver side rear...back off accelerator..it goes away..also seemed to go away as tranny shifted..came back after shift. Imagine that's the same as backing of accelerator.
How many differentials in this car..someone posted 3..thought 2? Is the front one in the tranny or transfer case?
Any thoughts welcome..
I drive a '00 awd manual ive been having a similar issue when ever hit 4k rpm it mikes a whine then it stops back off it stops this just started im in the mits of trying to figure out whats going on with it I think i need to scoure these forums

1 - 7 of 7 Posts