Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a whining noise in my 2018 RAV4. It only has 1200 miles on it. Service dept has listened and heard the sound, but dont know what it is. Only happens when I decelerate from 55 to 50. It is not a wind sound. Sounds like it come from the front center of the vehicle. Anyone have an idea. Im going back to service at dealer this week for an extended attempt for them to find the issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like the same issue from this other post....
I myself do not have this noise but agree I would be concerned if I did.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/225265-new-2016-toyota-rav4-high-pitch-noise-55mph-45mph.html[/URL]

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am experiencing a whining noise in my 2018 RAV4. It only has 1200 miles on it. Service dept has listened and heard the sound, but dont know what it is. Only happens when I decelerate from 55 to 50. It is not a wind sound. Sounds like it come from the front center of the vehicle. Anyone have an idea. Im going back to service at dealer this week for an extended attempt for them to find the issue.
Please advise what the dealer tells you about it.
I have the whine as well.
Hopefully it's not something bad. Would like to keep this car for years.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a hunch, but could it be coming from the tires? Could be unique to one specific brand and model of tire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or in the first instance, leave the wife at home...:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
i think it's not the wife. It's the transmission(?)... :D
There's a LOOONGGG thread on the 4.3 , and it seems to be the same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 RAV4 Whine noise on deceleration 50 to 40 MPH

I brought forth the whine noise to Toyota dealer last year. Toyota had regional techs come out to work with dealer techs to investigation and research. Last attempt to eliminate whine was replacement of transmission cable assembly. Reduced whine but did not eliminate. Whine is more prevalent in warmer weather with engine hot so RAV goes back to dealer next month (June). This will be the 3rd attempt to eliminate the whine. If not eliminated after June's repair, I will request Toyota to refund for it may fall under my state's lemon law. After all, no new vehicle should come with a transmission that whines. Good luck and be persistent with your resolution. I hope info was helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the Middle-East, I have the same noise on my 2016 Rav4 (purchased in 2017), my initial attempt to convince the dealer was ignored "No issues found - Normal acceleration noise", yesterday I did a test again with the service manager (blaming the throttle body) but it turns out the issue is with transmission, I was told today the complete transmission needs replacement - ordered from Japan, Transmission to be replaced sometime soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think it's not the wife. It's the transmission(?)... :D
There's a LOOONGGG thread on the 4.3 , and it seems to be the same problem.
Any resolution to this issue for you? We just purchased an 2018 LE RAV4 and have this issue. Noise seems present at various speeds but definitely hits a high note when coasting 55 down to 50 ...

Anyone know the cause? Does it "work in" eventually? I've seen someone claim their noise went away ... did it stay away?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any Resolution?

I brought forth the whine noise to Toyota dealer last year. Toyota had regional techs come out to work with dealer techs to investigation and research. Last attempt to eliminate whine was replacement of transmission cable assembly. Reduced whine but did not eliminate. Whine is more prevalent in warmer weather with engine hot so RAV goes back to dealer next month (June). This will be the 3rd attempt to eliminate the whine. If not eliminated after June's repair, I will request Toyota to refund for it may fall under my state's lemon law. After all, no new vehicle should come with a transmission that whines. Good luck and be persistent with your resolution. I hope info was helpful.
Volkl,

Did your situation ever get taken care of? I have the same issue with my 17 Limited but I am apprehensive about the dealer messing it up more. Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Any resolution to this issue for you? We just purchased an 2018 LE RAV4 and have this issue. Noise seems present at various speeds but definitely hits a high note when coasting 55 down to 50 ...

Anyone know the cause? Does it "work in" eventually? I've seen someone claim their noise went away ... did it stay away?
The whine is present on my '16 LE when coasting from 45 to 55. (Is still there, not getting "better".)
It is also present on my '18 when accelerating at 60.

I have decided to accept the problem since i've heard other members say if dealer replaces the trans, they use rebuilt(?), not brand new. (Though iirc, junebug said there shouldn't be a problem with rebuilt.)

Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

I also am afraid that if i ask the dealer to replace the transmission, that they may cause more problems.
I've had the brake fluid replaced on the 16, and it came back to me with the rubber gasket on the cowl/hood torn.
If things as simple as those they can't take care of on disassembly, what more for more complicated stuff, i think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The whine is present on my '16 LE when coasting from 45 to 55. (Is still there, not getting "better".)
It is also present on my '18 when accelerating at 60.

I have decided to accept the problem since i've heard other members say if dealer replaces the trans, they use rebuilt(?), not brand new. (Though iirc, junebug said there shouldn't be a problem with rebuilt.)

Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

I also am afraid that if i ask the dealer to replace the transmission, that they may cause more problems.
I've had the brake fluid replaced on the 16, and it came back to me with the rubber gasket on the cowl/hood torn.
If things as simple as those they can't take care of on disassembly, what more for more complicated stuff, i think.
Okay thanks for the info. Interesting that you have 2 RAV4 that "whine". Indicates to me that the issue must be pretty common (no ones that unlucky) ... probably most people don't care or notice.

I agree that having the dealer replace the transmission is not worth the risk assuming the noise is not indicative of a real issue. I've not read yet anyone thinking that is the case... I'm leaning toward just accepting the problem, but may pursue the issue with service toward the end of my warrantee period. This is my first Toyota and probably my last if their quality control thinks this is acceptable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Has anyone got any update on the issue? I have the same problem with my RAV4 Hybrid 2017 XLE.
Either your whine is not the same or the problem is not with the transmission. All the other complaints I have seen come from the gas only models with the 6 speed vs your CVT. If it is the same whine under the same conditions I would think that it must be coming from something that is common between the standard powertrain and the hybrid. Could this be coming from the front end drive belt or one of the driven accessories such as the ac compressor or power steering pump(if it is hydraulic), water pump or even the oil pump?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Either your whine is not the same or the problem is not with the transmission. All the other complaints I have seen come from the gas only models with the 6 speed vs your CVT. If it is the same whine under the same conditions I would think that it must be coming from something that is common between the standard powertrain and the hybrid. Could this be coming from the front end drive belt or one of the driven accessories such as the ac compressor or power steering pump(if it is hydraulic), water pump or even the oil pump?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Dunno if it's really the same noise, but hybrid version has whining noise as well. It's been discussed in the hybrid section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I, too, have a whining noise when decelerating from 55-45 or so. It seems to happen more when the engine/transmission are warm? I also have a different pitched whine when accelerating from 50-55. This one happens even when cold, so I'm not sure if they are related or not. I have a 2015 FWD non-hybrid with 54,000 miles that is still under the powertrain warranty, so I am thinking about taking it to the dealer. If nothing else, I will have a record of the problem in case it gets worse going forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Can you update please on status of your issue? We have bought 2017 XLE at 30K and did not notice this on test drive. I assume we drove around on city streets and never exceeded 45MPH to hear the whining sound. But it is there, so we went to dealer and let him check. They claim that it is normal transmission sound. We don't think so.I have googled this and found this thread.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you update please on status of your issue? We have bought 2017 XLE at 30K and did not notice this on test drive. I assume we drove around on city streets and never exceeded 45MPH to hear the whining sound. But it is there, so we went to dealer and let him check. They claim that it is normal transmission sound. We don't think so.I have googled this and found this thread.
Guess everyone accepted the noise as Toyota mechanics are all deaf.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts