Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my experience.......

The RAV4 tires start whinning too early.... I have always had cars before. This is my first SUV. May be SUVs are supposed to have that "whinning" sound coming from the tires after tires get a little old..

I religously rotate/balance my tires and do not OFF ROAD.. This is my second set of nice tires... and they whine like the original ones I had on my RAV.

First it was TOYO tires and I thought it was the company.
Now it is Michellin and after 30k miles (like last time), I hear some whinning at freeway speeds which is not there when the tires are new...............

Also I stick with factory specifications so tires are not larger/taller/smaller/thinner/ or thicker....

I can have one EXPLAINATION.............

I put too much load on my RAV and drive continously 12-14 hours on freeways sometimes.
AS the RAV wheels are kind of tilted inside from the top per the design..........

Should not happen though...... I don't know.

Not a fault/fix thing. I think. Just loud talk. Hence the "General" section.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RAV4EVR said:
In my experience.......
I can have one EXPLAINATION.............

I put too much load on my RAV and drive continously 12-14 hours on freeways sometimes.
AS the RAV wheels are kind of tilted inside from the top per the design..........

Should not happen though...... I don't know.

Not a fault/fix thing. I think. Just loud talk. Hence the "General" section.
I have studied this for some time on my 2002 4wd. I don't think the problem is the tilted in camber, that only causes the cupping to appear on the inside instead of all over.

It is the heal to toe cupping of the tread segments that causes the whine. Toein or toeout causes tread stress left or right, not forward or back. The only thing that can be causing this is a tendency for the front axle to be at a slightly different speed to the back axle. I believe this is a fault of the limited slip of the centre diff which is stressing the tread due to slight speed difference between front and back wheels.

This is similair but not as extreme as driving a standard 4wd on bitumen in 4wd mode.

I hope Toyota will address this fault in subsequent models.

Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts