Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I drive a FWD 2010 RAV4. I've had a problem for quite some time. The car makes a very loud whirring noise that gets worse when I accelerate and dissipates as a slow down and it appears to be coming from the rear. At first I was pretty sure this was a bearing issue, however, the car also makes an intermittent, inconsistent rumbling sound that I can feel in my seat. It feels like there is resistance slowing the car. It occurs mainly between 40-50 miles an hour, however, as I said, it is inconsistent. It tends to go away if I let off of the accelerator or accelerate harder. Sometimes I'll drive and it won't make the noise at all. If I had to describe the sound, I would say it almost sounds like a train. This rumble also appears to be from the rear, however, sometimes I think the sound is coming from underneath the chassis. The point is, the sound is difficult to pinpoint.

I rotated the tires and did cross rotations to see if the sound transferred locations. It did not, so I'm fairly certain the issue isn't tire noise. I also changed both wheel hub assemblies on the driver's side and checked and cleaned all of the brake calipers and brake caliper pins. I did this because I believe the problem began shortly after I changed all 4 rotors and brakes about 6 months ago. I haven't been able to find anything out of the ordinary.

As of right now, my next step is to change the rear passenger side wheel hub assembly, as that is the last possible problem area I can think of at the moment, but I wanted to see if any other Rav owners have encountered similar issues or if they think they might know what the issue may be.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hello everyone,

I drive a FWD 2010 RAV4. I've had a problem for quite some time. The car makes a very loud whirring noise that gets worse when I accelerate and dissipates as a slow down and it appears to be coming from the rear. At first I was pretty sure this was a bearing issue, however, the car also makes an intermittent, inconsistent rumbling sound that I can feel in my seat. It feels like there is resistance slowing the car. It occurs mainly between 40-50 miles an hour, however, as I said, it is inconsistent. It tends to go away if I let off of the accelerator or accelerate harder. Sometimes I'll drive and it won't make the noise at all. If I had to describe the sound, I would say it almost sounds like a train. This rumble also appears to be from the rear, however, sometimes I think the sound is coming from underneath the chassis. The point is, the sound is difficult to pinpoint.

I rotated the tires and did cross rotations to see if the sound transferred locations. It did not, so I'm fairly certain the issue isn't tire noise. I also changed both wheel hub assemblies on the driver's side and checked and cleaned all of the brake calipers and brake caliper pins. I did this because I believe the problem began shortly after I changed all 4 rotors and brakes about 6 months ago. I haven't been able to find anything out of the ordinary.

As of right now, my next step is to change the rear passenger side wheel hub assembly, as that is the last possible problem area I can think of at the moment, but I wanted to see if any other Rav owners have encountered similar issues or if they think they might know what the issue may be.
Just yesterday, I received a "warranty enhancement notification - ZF4" dealing with a "growl type noise" from the rear differential coupling in the mail. Maybe look into that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just yesterday, I received a "warranty enhancement notification - ZF4" dealing with a "growl type noise" from the rear differential coupling in the mail. Maybe look into that?

I would have thought the noise was coming from the rear differential but I have a FWD car. There is no rear Diff. A growl type noise would be a pretty accurate description however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the wheel Hub on the other rear tire but the problem remains. Anyone think this could be a muffler/exhaust issue?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you had a Toyota mechanic listen to it yet? My 08 Rav4 V6 has a higher pitched whine that I've heard in other Toyota and Lexus and I'm told it's a transmission sound that is "normal". I don't hear it unless the radio is off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts