Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Rav4-Adventure that is making a faint, but distinct "whirring" noise after I shut it off. The noise sounds like something that is spinning down in rpm's. It takes about 10-seconds to finally spin down & sounds to be coming from the dash area in front of the driver. It does not seem to be related to the climate control fan speed & cannot be heard from the engine area or from beneath the car. Perhaps it is somehow associated with the tachometer? I first noticed it after driving home from getting it repaired for the transfer case issue - but I suppose it could have been there before (it isn't that loud). The vehicle began making the transfer-case noise at 57,000 miles & the dealer repaired it under warrantee, but had troubles. The technician apparently first made the repair, but then found that it made a bad noise all of the time, so they had to redo portions of it (took an extra day). It was explained to me that "the front driveshaft was not pushed in all of the way - so we had to redo much of the repair except for the internal parts". When I asked him for more specifics, he became vague (he was the service desk guy - not the mechanic). The vehicle seems to work fine, with the exception of the "whirring" noise. Could they have stressed the tachometer cable or something else? Is there a tachometer cable on this vehicle? Any ideas?

I am inclined to take it back in - but thought to check here first.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have a 2019 Rav4-Adventure that is making a faint, but distinct "whirring" noise after I shut it off. The noise sounds like something that is spinning down in rpm's. It takes about 10-seconds to finally spin down & sounds to be coming from the dash area in front of the driver. It does not seem to be related to the climate control fan speed & cannot be heard from the engine area or from beneath the car. Perhaps it is somehow associated with the tachometer? I first noticed it after driving home from getting it repaired for the transfer case issue - but I suppose it could have been there before (it isn't that loud). The vehicle began making the transfer-case noise at 57,000 miles & the dealer repaired it under warrantee, but had troubles. The technician apparently first made the repair, but then found that it made a bad noise all of the time, so they had to redo portions of it (took an extra day). It was explained to me that "the front driveshaft was not pushed in all of the way - so we had to redo much of the repair except for the internal parts". When I asked him for more specifics, he became vague (he was the service desk guy - not the mechanic). The vehicle seems to work fine, with the exception of the "whirring" noise. Could they have stressed the tachometer cable or something else? Is there a tachometer cable on this vehicle? Any ideas?

My Limited does this too. It doesn't run for very long but it's done it since I bought it new in Feb 2019.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Limited does this too. It doesn't run for very long but it's done it since I bought it new in Feb 2019.
Thank you for the note on your Limited. Perhaps mine was always doing it also & I am just paying more attention after the repair - I believe they both have the same drivetrain & likely similar mechanics in the console.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
56 Posts

Occam's Razor- the most obvious thing is usually the correct answer. Are you sure you are not hearing the automatic parking brake? It runs for a few seconds after engine is shut down in park and makes a faint whirring noise before stopping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Occam's Razor- the most obvious thing is usually the correct answer. Are you sure you are not hearing the automatic parking brake? It runs for a few seconds after engine is shut down in park and makes a faint whirring noise before stopping.
It is definitely not the Parking Brake. The Parking Brake has a distinctly different noise (I'll call it a mechanical "moving" noise - not a "whirr") & is activated when you shift to Park. It also only last for about 2 seconds or so. This noise is repeatable whenever you shut the engine off & lasts much longer (perhaps 10-seconds). You can hear the rpms gradually decrease from high speed down to the final revolution. It sounds like a high revolution, light load, lightweight device. There is obviously little friction on it, due to the extended wind-down. It is loudest if I put my head as close as possible to the upper center of the steering wheel. It is not very loud - I cannot hear from outside if I have the door open due to the door chimes. I think I can hear it spool up when the vehicle starts & perhaps hear it in the background, but the noise is mostly hidden by the engine noise. Changing fan speed & settings doesn't change it. If it is normal, I won't worry about it - but I didn't notice it until after the vehicle was serviced & it is loud enough that I think I would have noticed it before.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
56 Posts
It is definitely not the Parking Brake. The Parking Brake has a distinctly different noise (I'll call it a mechanical "moving" noise - not a "whirr") & is activated when you shift to Park. It also only last for about 2 seconds or so. This noise is repeatable whenever you shut the engine off & lasts much longer (perhaps 10-seconds). You can hear the rpms gradually decrease from high speed down to the final revolution. It sounds like a high revolution, light load, lightweight device. There is obviously little friction on it, due to the extended wind-down. It is loudest if I put my head as close as possible to the upper center of the steering wheel. It is not very loud - I cannot hear from outside if I have the door open due to the door chimes. I think I can hear it spool up when the vehicle starts & perhaps hear it in the background, but the noise is mostly hidden by the engine noise. Changing fan speed & settings doesn't change it. If it is normal, I won't worry about it - but I didn't notice it until after the vehicle was serviced & it is loud enough that I think I would have noticed it before.
Here is a far out possibility but easy to check: it may be the radiator electric fan. Get someone else to sit in drivers seat with door closed( so no chimes). open hood with engine running and thoroughly warmed up so that the radiator fan is running, Use work light or flashlight to see if fan blades moving. Have the driver shut off engine. Listen for your strange noise and see if its the fan. Also you should do this open hood/shut down while standing outside with your head in the engine bay to see if you can pin point any other engine compartment component that may be making your odd noise.I envision a myriad of things that could make such a short term odd noise on shutdown: vacuum pump for power brakes, EVAP system components, ABS brake junction components, various one way check valves releasing pressure etc.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Do you by any chance have the OEM QI charging pad? Mine sounds like it's coming from that area and I'm wondering if it has some sort of fan and that's what we're hearing. It definitely inside the vehicle. The other suggested sounds from the engine compartment can be recognized. This is a light weight fan sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That could be the information screen, It takes a few seconds to turn off after you shut the engine off and it sounds like a faint whirring noise, it's basically the computer turning off. Turn on the power without starting the car (hit the engine start button twice without your foot on the brake to put it in ACC mode) and see if it's the same noise. I heard the same noise and couldn't tell what it was until I realized it was just the screen taking a few seconds to turn off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried it without the car running. The noise is still present. That eliminates my "tachometer" idea. I timed it - it takes about 20-seconds to spool down. It is definitely mechanical - not electronic. It sounds to be slightly left of center from the lower console area - I'll bet I could identify it if I were flexible enough to get my head under there, or motivated enough to remove some of the trim. My best guess now is that it is a fan for a power supply or other element associated with the information screen electronics. I am curious if other Adventure or Limited owners hear it also - if I remember correctly, those two models both have a similar dash (mechanical tachometer, graphical speedometer)?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Do you have the Premium JBL audio system and is it the 6 or 11 speaker configuration? It could be something related to that systems power supply. I have the 11 speaker configuration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is not the JBL & I don't believe it has any sound system upgrades. It does have the winter driving package. It does not have the charging pad. Another possibility (that I just thought of) would be the inverter for the 120-V - perhaps that is located under the dash?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts