Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I have a 2003 Rav, automatic, awd, with about 140k on it.

For the past several months, my lovely Sheila has made a high pitched whirring noise when coming off a stop. It seems like the noise is connected to the rpm because when the transmission shifts up, the noise stops. The noise used to come when idling, but not very often.

These examples are all when I am turning, but the noise will come even when going straight off a stop:

I have been trying to solve another issue (occasional small knock and ~200 rpm dip in forward gears) and have done the following:
changed oil
changed transmission fluid and filter
changed PCV valve (new part is not OEM and buzzes. I have an OEM part on the way)
cleaned MAF sensor

Air intake butterfly valve is clean.

I have unplugged the alternator and the noise is still there.

I am about out of ideas and haven't found another thread or post with the same issue. Any ideas? Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled off the oil pan yesterday and the lift did not look clogged.

Some of the sides of the block were a bit grimy, but I sprayed some brake cleaner and used a toothbrush to get some of that off and let it dry before putting the pan back on (I forgot to take pictures after cleaning).

I'm not totally convinced the noise isn't coming from the alternator...I put my phone next to it to get a better idea of where it's coming from. 0:38 is a good example:

I don't want to go get a $100 alternator from autozone or advance and have it fail early. Does anyone have recommendations for one? I'd be more willing to pay OEM prices for this if I knew for sure it's the alternator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took her to a dealership today. 1.5 hours later, I get a call and the sounds is totally normal. The noise comes from the transmission and is nothing to worry about. Oh well. At least I learned a little bit more about Sheila.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts