Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new RAV4 99 owner, i purchased it used 80k miles,
look like its been kept up pretty good but i need to know what to start looking for. So far, I'm getting thick white smoke and it idles hard when its cold (first start up) I don't know if that's normal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in the process of looking for a reliable mechanic. VA/MD/DC area

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Well most of us get the blueish white smoke at start up.... which is due to valve seals.... may burn a little oil here and there... nothing to get extremely worried about... just have to keep an eye on the oil level...
Generally the idle is higher upon startup and as the vehicle reaches normal temperature, the idle settles down...

Upon startup in cold weather generally condensation comes out of the tailpipe and also since exhaust is hotter it will come out whiteish, in the same sense if you breath in cold air you can see your breath.... I don't know if I made any sense by that...

The main signs of problems are if after the vehicle is warmed up, you are driving and upon acceleration you see constant smoke coming out of the tailpipe, bluish, or whiteish, whichever it may be....
Also keep an eye on the temperature gauge to make sure it's not rising and overheating, along with the white smoke out the tailpipe, that would be signs of coolant....

If you are uncertain you can always have the car checked out, have a compression test done, etc....

Hope some of the info helps....

--DJ Sueno

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
White smoke

I had a compression test today and that's was very good, they check for links there weren't any. I did notice the coolant was 1/4 below the full line. :?:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I check if the head gasket is blown?

This maybe a stupid question but I would know if the head gasket is gone? :shock: :cry:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Re: How do I check if the head gasket is blown?

RAVRAV99 said:
This maybe a stupid question but I would know if the head gasket is gone? :shock: :cry:
:arrow: The compression test you had done would have indicated a problem....

Also generally if you have a blown headgasket you will see white smoke consistently coming out of the tailpipe, and your car will tend to overheat....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts