Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been covered before or not, but how many people here ride motorcycles? I haven't started yet, but I am going this weekend to look at the Ninja 250r. I have a few guys who have been riding for awhile lined up to teach me. I wanted to start with a small, light bike that I will be able to contorl easily, and that will make enough power for the local hills. The 250 is more than fast enough to get the speed for any riding I will be doing.

So I guess I just want to see what you guys ride, and how long you have been doing it. Should be interesting.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking about getting a scooter because of the gas prices. Too bad I live too far from where I work, or I would have already bought 1.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not go for a bike? Or one of the 250cc + scooters? For that matter, how far is too far?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auckland doesn't have decent mass transit?

The bus/cablecars in Wellington are pretty good.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depending on which hospital I am on shift at. Normally around 20km, but furthest to work would be 35km.

Yes, Auckland public transport is the crappiest compare to anywhere, and the stupid council wanted to introduce a toll system to fund their public transport system. How could they ask for more money when there is virtually no public transport for daily commuters. Bunch of white collar retards who fail their city planning now wanted to rip us off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 750.
A good mid-size crusier. It is great for around town and has enough punch for out on the back roads and freeway. At 65 horsepower it has more than the Harley Sportster 883 and the Yamaha V-Star.
I hadn't rode for 30 years and bought my Vulcan in Febuary of this year. My wife and I are out on it riding with some friends we have made 4-5 times a week.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I used to ride a Yamaha 400 many years ago. It was really cool, with the helmet, leather jacket and all. Plus
you always gave the hand wave to fellow riders. 8)

I did drive my friends 1100 a few times. I always wanted more power than the 400 was had, but the first ride on the Kawasaki I was close to losing it. It bolted but was really dam heavy and hard to control.

As for scooters I rode them too in southern Italy in the summers. They are less serious, more casual, best for the short scoots around the village, or taking your girlfriend to the nearby beach.

In the winter season (when still warm) on weekends the bikers would drive along the coast and sit their nice, Honda, Suziki, Ducati’s etc…. beside the open bars/gelaterias before cruising up the mountain side. That would be so cool to do.

I would buy one now if there were no cars on the road. I trust my driving abilities on the bike but I don’t trust some car drivers. :?

Cheers, Walt :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
have had many bikes over the years. suzuki 120, kawasiki s4 & h2r, yamaha 500 twin, xs1100, & 750 seca... enjoyed them all & would pick up another one if finances allowed!

peace bro..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ride too. I've got a 1998 CBR 600 F3. Fun lightweight middle-weight sportbike with plenty of power for legal (and sometimes not so much) rates of travel.

Terrific to hear you not buying into the big-bore hype and learning the right way on a smaller bike.

I would suggest maybe considering a 500 (like a Ninja 500) instead of the 250 for a first ride. Enough power to get you in trouble when you get confident but also little enough that it makes learning feasable. I suspect once you ride, you'll love it and will outgrow the 250 very quickly and want more power sooner rather than later.

Of course it depends on where you live, but I suspect you'll have a lot easier time unloading the 500 when you are ready for your first non-learning proper bike vs. the 250.

Lastly, I personally can't stress enough taking a MSF course to learn to ride vs. lessons from friends. The MSF courses are designed to teach from the ground up and prevent bad habits that are learned by friends teaching us right from from the get go. Plenty of time to learn from friends but to start I'd suggest learning the right way. Check them out here:
http://www.msf-usa.org/

Think of it this way. What would you receive the best learning experience from? Someone trained in training others in a particular skillset, or someone who happens to know how to do that skill?

Just my .02 cents

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ROFL, actually, I was just looking at their site before I read your post. I believe in the state of Michigan, that if I take a course such as the MFS course, I do not have to take the rider's skill test. Plus, I know from boater's safety and such that they are good ideas. I am going to call around to see when and where I can take the class. There are three towns listed that would work for me. I would prefer to take it before I buy the bike, but not a neccisity (have to trailer it home, and the break in period means that for the first couple of hundred miles I am giong a little easy on it).

I was choosing the 250 due to weight and gas consumption. I am not ruling out a 500, and will be sitting on both to get a feel for position before I buy. I am 6'0" and 180lbs, so the 250 could carry me easily. And it is a commuter thing anyways.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got a 2004 Suzuki Intruder vs800. Nice bike I might add. Low seat height, and good balance. I'm taking the rider's edge course that my harley dealership offers it. (on the 25th). By passing that, I won't have to take a state administered skills test, and I get a nifty card that can get me up to 10% off my insurance on my bike :D Also the guy who gives the test is a state trooper and gives the state course as well. He said that the state course isn't as good as this one. My class will only have 6 people max in it, I think he said the state could have 10? maybe more I don't remember for sure.

You should see if they have the course around where you are dude. Cost is $300, but I paid for my ex-wife to take it (when we were married) and it seemed to do her quite well, especially since she had never been on a bike before.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Update -- I no longer ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 750.... I traded it in on a new 2005 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700. I got a good deal on it since it was a hold over from 2005. It had 2 miles on it when we rolled it out of the show room on Wednesday, May 24th. A late birthday present since my birthday was on the 14th.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I own a nice Trek mountain bike :doh:

Seriously, my latest ride is a 2002 Suzuki Volusia VL800. I also highly recommend the MSF course. I've taken both the introductory and advanced courses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts