Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from Pep Boys and the guy looked at me as if I was crazy. Does Wally World carry any synthetics in this grade? If not, which of the retailers does? Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good question, I haven't seen that grade.

·
Registered
168 Posts
purduealum91 said:
Just came from Pep Boys and the guy looked at me as if I was crazy. Does Wally World carry any synthetics in this grade? If not, which of the retailers does? Thanks!

Tom
Yup, Walmart in my area has Mobil 1 0W-20. It's $5 something a quart.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its a grade that really didn't go anywhere after its first launch. 5W (Five weight/Winter) is the required oil for 99% of most vehicles out there. People didn't feel 100% comfortable using a "Zero" weight oil. Alot of manufactures don't recomend it so thats probably why it is not widely available.

A synthetic (regular not blend) has the ability to become more fluid, quicker than all conventional oils out there. 5w-20-5w50 should do the trick with most applications. The term "blend" is a little misleading to consumers anyway since ALL synthetics start with a base oil to which synthetic additives are ....well.....added. Check out the section here on "Synthetic Oil", there is some good info there. As well, on-line you can check most companies info on their products. Informative...Check it out!

Later. M.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Marcutio said:
Its a grade that really didn't go anywhere after its first launch. 5W (Five weight/Winter) is the required oil for 99% of most vehicles out there. People didn't feel 100% comfortable using a "Zero" weight oil. Alot of manufactures don't recomend it so thats probably why it is not widely available.

A synthetic (regular not blend) has the ability to become more fluid, quicker than all conventional oils out there. 5w-20-5w50 should do the trick with most applications. The term "blend" is a little misleading to consumers anyway since ALL synthetics start with a base oil to which synthetic additives are ....well.....added. Check out the section here on "Synthetic Oil", there is some good info there. As well, on-line you can check most companies info on their products. Informative...Check it out!

Later. M.
edited for my error.

You can find this weight of oil from Mobil and Motorcraft. Honda, also, specifies this weight oil.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The switch to 0W-20 by some automakers is an effort to eek out one extra mile per gallon in fuel economy by running a slightly lighter weight oil. They will justify this by saying that the closer engineering tolerances of modern engines allow for and/or necessitate the use of a lighter weight engine oil.

I feel that for all practical purposes, your vehicle's engine will not really notice the difference between 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, and 5W-30. If you can get the 0W-20 easily, then go for it. But if all you can find is 5W-30, don't worry about it.

That being said, when you are dealing with lightweight oil, it is even more preferable to go with synthetic.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The German oil company FUSCH makes the 0W20 motor oil.

I've used it before. It runs like water and needs replacement at a maximum of 5000km. I have to change it every time I used it at the track. It's not design for endurance, more of a low friction oil for high reving engines.

·
Registered
986 Posts
tankd0g said:
So I guess gthe 15W40 I run in the summer wouldn't win me any EPA awards :)
It would win about as many awards as my lead foot or excessive idling...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts