Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shall we start a "Whoppers my dealer told me" thread? I think it would be interesting to see if there is a common "WHOPPER" that many of us are hearing......

·
Registered
5 Posts
We put a deposit down a week ago on a car our dealer was to get for us from another dealer in the area. We called several days later and the salesman told us our car was scheduled to arrive on Thursday or Friday. We called Friday afternoon and they told us the deal had fallen through with the other dealership. The car we wanted was not available and there was no such car (4WD V6 limited in nautical blue) in the entire state of Texas. :cry: We called back later Friday night and asked when we could stop in to pick up our deposit. Lo and behold a miracle occurred!! While we were on the phone at 7 pm Friday night the new car sales manager told us a truck had just then pulled up with our car. :shock:

H

·
0 Posts
When I started the search for my car (V6 AWD Ltd) in January, I was told by a local dealer that the car would not be available until June and that I would not be able to get the car at MSRP and should expect to pay over that for the car. I walked and bought elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
About ten years ago, I had a Dodge dealer tell me before purchasing a new Caravan, that Chrysler had fixed the infamous transmission failure problem that was plaguing it's 4 spd. electronically controlled transmission. Bought one, tranny failed at 33K mile, and just out of the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. (No more 7/70 at that time) They wanted me to take the whole hit for a new tranny. Wound up paying 1/3 of cost after making some serious noise to zone rep. Same dealership's service dept told me it was my fault because rotors warped and became pitted, so that I had to replace them 4 TIMES within the 1st 26K miles.

Needless to say, no more Chrysler products for this OC fool, and along with some similar experiences with Ford and GM, no more domestics for this guy!! :evil: :oops:

OC

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
My dealer told me that the 4WD lock button was for turning the stability system on and off and none of the RAV4 have heated mirrors.

R

·
0 Posts
Here are my whoppers!...I have QUITE a few! I feel like scanning my salesman's business card to share with the world! He was the worst salesman I have ever seen!

Our salesman told us:

The base model would tow 3,500 pounds.
The minute a raindrop hits the windshield...the wipers will start (rain-sensing windshield).
That we have no wax finish and will never have to wax our RAV.
Said we had side air bags...even though we don't.
Said the spare was a locked spare.
Said the headlights would go on automatically at dusk (and, he pointed to that button on the dash near the windshield).
Kept telling us that the auxillary jack in the console wasn't for an MP3 player...that we basically were nuts for thinking that is what it was for. Doofus.
He told us we had engine immobilizer.
Told us there was an extra cost to get the Everglade Metallic ($200 premium)
Told us if we get a stain and they can't get it out...they'll replace the fabric (we have fabric protector). Not sure if this is true or not!
Took our window sticker and stuck it in his desk! Doofus!
Told us we had Hill Assist and Stability Control (okay...he really saw us coming!)

This is all I can think of right now...it has been a long day, and my brain hurts! LOL!

p.s. I know...we should have done more investigation...but, sadly...we're trusting, and thought the salesman knew his job. BTW...some of these we knew he was nuts!

R

·
0 Posts
Our dealer seemed to never have the blue RAV4 in the L package with hardshell spare. Though, a dealer 45 minutes down the road usually did. Ours told us the American market didn't get them that way and to be careful since those woud be "Canadian" models without a USA warranty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My sales guy was pretty decent with the purchase of my Rav4. However a week later when I went to get the alarm system thrown on at the dealership, I requested they install the mudfaps I bought off Ebay as a courtesy. The service dept. stuck the front flaps on and left the back off. They told me the back were the wrong one's and that they didn't fit correctly.

When I got home I put them on myself in 20 minutes and they were a perfect fit. You just have to remove the back tires to get them on properly. Lazy Service tech. I called them back and let them know how displeased I was that I had to do it myself and if that was the service I was going to get then any future work would be done by another dealer.

They've called 3 times with an apology and to see if I need anything since... :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
hagman said:
When I started the search for my car (V6 AWD Ltd) in January, I was told by a local dealer that the car would not be available until June and that I would not be able to get the car at MSRP and should expect to pay over that for the car. I walked and bought elsewhere.
I'm in NJ and the RAVs are somewhat hard to come by here. Each dealer had maybe one or two and the V6's were almost non-existent (I bought mine in March). Each time I'd find a V6, it was already sold. Many of the dealers had the V6's sold before they took delivery. I only saw one V6 when we shopped and it had a sunroof and I didn't want one of those.

I stopped in a dealer near where I work and found the one that had the options I wanted. I went back the next morning and purchased it.

The RAV was on the showroom floor and it was the only one they had. My wife and I were in the showroom waiting for our salesman to come back inside when we saw two other couples debating if they were going to purchase the RAV the dealership had. I had them page the salesman and made him go to his desk and negotiate our offer. We negotiated the deal only minutes before one of the other couples. They had literaly sat down with another salesperson to sign the papers moments after us and we beat them in negotiating the deal.

Overall, no problems with our sales guy. He gave us the old "there's only two others like this in the entire NY region" spiel when I tried to get him lower but he didn't mis represent anything.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I go to pick up my 2006 RAV4 at the dealer, my salesman was on vacation so another salesman did the delivery, the large brown envelope that contained the manuals, keys and other paperwork had preprinted slots such as customer name, vehicle number, vehicle year.

It said 2007 RAV4, I said so this is an 07 huh? yes replied the salesman, they are shipping 07's now, I said I don't think so, he then showed me the key fob label and it also said 2007 RAV4 Everglade, I then showed him the owners manual which had 2006 on it and the sticker.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At a popular dealership in Milwaukee, the salesman insisted (despite my arguments to the contrary) that it is ok to tow over the maximum towing capacity (this was a dealership that didn't have any 6 cyl.) Then, the guy had the audacity to make fun of my Chevy S-10 (my trade in vehicle), which I paid for myself by working my ass of landscaping during summer vacation during college. It wasn't a pretty vehicle, but it had a lot of "character" and I liked my ol' S-10. Then, to top it all off, he told me that I couldn't get a V6 RAV; that nobody had a V6 RAV; and that I should buy a Highlander V6 (which i had to remind him numerous times---I don't want a friggin Highlander). This was all in a matter of about 15 min, since I walked out very quickly.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
BarnyFife said:
I go to pick up my 2006 RAV4 at the dealer, my salesman was on vacation so another salesman did the delivery, the large brown envelope that contained the manuals, keys and other paperwork had preprinted slots such as customer name, vehicle number, vehicle year.

It said 2007 RAV4, I said so this is an 07 huh? yes replied the salesman, they are shipping 07's now, I said I don't think so, he then showed me the key fob label and it also said 2007 RAV4 Everglade, I then showed him the owners manual which had 2006 on it and the sticker.
Congrat Barnyfife, you are the first member to own a 07 on this forum. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Salesperson and sales manager repeatedly stated my V6 Blizzard White Limited had the Tow Prep package, discussed it while shopping , at sales and at pickup. Thanks to members here, I looked in the fuse box and 50 Amp fuse in slot 22 but not 23! Talked to them again and assured it was on the vehicle. Finally wrote a letter to dealership and got response that no RAV4 in Hawaii has Tow Prep Package! :evil: All Hawaii vehicles have wiring harness and that's what they consider Tow Package. Long story short, I told them this was a severe lack of communication on their part and they owed me. Therefore, when the grill is replaced on Wednesday, I will also be getting a free RS3200 security system. :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Our salesperson when going over our vehicle with us before we drove it home told us to only use synthetic oil and that the LSD button lowered the car for better stability on wet roads. LOL. Some salesmen just don't do their homework.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
TomT said:
Our salesperson when going over our vehicle with us before we drove it home told us to only use synthetic oil and that the LSD button lowered the car for better stability on wet roads. LOL. Some salesmen just don't do their homework.
maybe when the salesman is on LSD the car lowers :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts