Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
I considered making a trap door to access the oil change points, but then I figured it's not much additional work to remove the skid plate entirely if I'm already crawling under there. With oil changes every 5k miles that'll be about twice each year for me.
That's a serious plate!
Do you have a similarly robust solution for protecting the Charcoal Canister Filter Sub-Assembly located under the driver's seat floor?

Reactions: pico

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I have one of these plates, I still haven't installed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks good. I am going to give this a shot. I have a friend who has metal working machines in his garage. Members have commented on skid plates and off-roading. I want a plate to protect my underside from the massive ice chunks that come off trucks in the winter plus to protect from salt etc. I have a 99 TDI that is modified/lowered and it's skid plate has saved it's oil pan etc. many times. Mechanics that see my engine always comment on how clean it is. So a solid skid plate is good to have for more than just off-roading. My plastic factory plate did not last long at all subjected to the elements.

Here are a few pictures of the skid plate I designed installed on my 2010 V6 4wd.

I neglected to mention in my last post that the dashed lines in the .dxf file indicate locations for breaks in the sheet metal. The break on the front end is about 25 degrees, and the set of double-breaks on the back are about 15 degrees each. This gives about 3/8 inch clearance to the oil pan and exhaust manifold.

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
Looks good. I am going to give this a shot. I have a friend who has metal working machines in his garage. Members have commented on skid plates and off-roading. I want a plate to protect my underside from the massive ice chunks that come off trucks in the winter plus to protect from salt etc. I have a 99 TDI that is modified/lowered and it's skid plate has saved it's oil pan etc. many times. Mechanics that see my engine always comment on how clean it is. So a solid skid plate is good to have for more than just off-roading. My plastic factory plate did not last long at all subjected to the elements.
Don't overlook protecting the $1100 charcoal canister under the driver's floor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lift kits

I lifted my rav4 2" front en back,the job was made by a shop DEAVER in Santa Ana California,check my pictures . My rav look more agresive.tires 245 65 R17. All terrain tires. Check my pictures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I looked at pictures of the ASFIR skid plate, and it seems the mounting and service holes don't line up on the US-spec V6. I wasn't comfortable spending $400 to find out the hard way.

I designed and fabricated my own engine compartment skid plate to replace the plastic factory splash guard. I am not going into business manufacturing skid plates. I'm making the design freely available to other RAV4 owners here for non-commercial purposes under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Material is 1/8" 5052 Aluminum alloy, about $60. Manufacturing is simple and requires only a sheet metal break, drill, and a metal saw, although a waterjet or CNC is more precise. Required hardware is 4x M8 20mm bolts and 2x M10 25mm bolts with washers. Three M8 bolts are used for the front attachment, with two M10 and one M8 for the rear. The factory splash guard mounting holes are used so no drilling of the vehicle is required. It is necessary to tap the existing holes for M8 or M10. 5/16-18 and 3/8-18 could be substituted for M8 and M10, but I like to keep things metric.

I'll take some pictures and add them to this post soon.
Wallace - have you had any issues with the mounting of this? I had one made up, and as i was getting a service I asked my mechanic to install it. He is a trusted mechanic and ive been going to him for years, but he didn't want to touch it as he said the thinness of the body tin wouldn't get a strong enough thread merely by tapping as its only 5mm or so thick. He suggested I go to a body shop and get them to put threadlocks in there?

·
Registered
73 Posts
No issues thus far with mounting. If you are concerned about the threads stripping and want a really strong mounting point I'd recommend the following:
Remove paint around the mounting holes.
Weld a proper size weldnut (could probably use M8 for all 6) on top of the mounting holes.
Repaint with a rust-inhibiting paint.
Run a tap through the weldnuts to clear paint out of the threads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No issues thus far with mounting. If you are concerned about the threads stripping and want a really strong mounting point I'd recommend the following:
Remove paint around the mounting holes.
Weld a proper size weldnut (could probably use M8 for all 6) on top of the mounting holes.
Repaint with a rust-inhibiting paint.
Run a tap through the weldnuts to clear paint out of the threads.

Wallace, I just have a question about the two holes shown in your image at the back:

Are they needed because looking at your photos there are the 3 mounting holes at the front and 3 at the rear but in your diagram it has an extra two holes on the 15 degree bend above the lower 15 degree bend.

I'm looking at getting one manufactured and am unsure about those two holes shown on that bend.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dented oil pan ok? And does anyone has experience with these skid plates?

Hi all!

I took my '08 V6 4WD "off-road" couple weeks ago and it was fun! Unfortunately, my oil pan lost to one of those big rocks in the process... The car drives fine, do I need to replace the oil pan?

To avoid future damages, I am looking at putting in a skid plate. There are 2 models I am looking at and they are similarly priced (~$4xx all in) but one is in US (Skidplateguy) while the other is International(ASFIR). Anyone has any experience with them?

I did look at selling my Rav4 and get a 4Runner but old ones are so over priced, and mine has less than 50k miles and is all paid for. And I like the "what is this red Rav4 doing here??" look at the trail

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
The reason there are so much in skid plates for Subarus is because the Impreza is a popular rally car. There is a market for them on the Impreza and for most model years it was only a slight modification in design to make those same plates for the Forrester. The 4.3 Rav4 has some fragile stuff under it and I would see the value in a plate for just about anyone, but it's a pretty small market so you gotta take what you can get. The ones I see for sale only seem to cover the oil pan, I'd be more worried about the evap canister and the electrical plugs under the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I jsut got a pic from Skidman. It doesn't look quite like the one posted above. No cut out for the exhaust. Which is better IMO. No oil drain holes though. Pretty pricey as well. Maybe it is a i4 vs v6 thing.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,617 Posts
I jsut got a pic from Skidman. It doesn't look quite like the one posted above. No cut out for the exhaust. Which is better IMO. No oil drain holes though. Pretty pricey as well. Maybe it is a i4 vs v6 thing.
Yes, the first picture clearly shows the 2.4L I4 from model years 2006-2008. The oil filter is a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The skidplateguy is having a July 4th sale (until today) and I am getting one for less than $400 including S&H. My plan is to try out some simple off-road trails without ripping my RAV4 apart. If I end up doing it at least once a month and starting to get bored with the simple trails, will get a used 4 runner or land cruiser.

·
Registered
146 Posts
At some point we are just going to have to accept the rav4 was not made for anything more than soft trails...anything involving rocks, skid plate or no and we are going to have to look into something designed for that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the skid plate I designed installed on my 2010 V6 4wd.

I neglected to mention in my last post that the dashed lines in the .dxf file indicate locations for breaks in the sheet metal. The break on the front end is about 25 degrees, and the set of double-breaks on the back are about 15 degrees each. This gives about 3/8 inch clearance to the oil pan and exhaust manifold.
So I just bought Thurznite's used skid plate. It is of this design. Pretty excited to get it. I think that I will be drilling some holes in it. Hope it fits the i4 without issue. Will report back when I receive and install it.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts