Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We'll see how it fits when I get it. From what I can tell it is going to reduce my overall ground clearance up front as the skid need to clear the lowest hanging item. I suspect there might be some issue with it as ThurzNITE decided not to install and he was pretty gun ho about getting a skid. In fact he started a thread about mash producing/building a custom unit and selling it. But it never evolved into anything, probably because he bought this plate used. Unknown why he never installed it. Maybe the market is less than it appears. Just the those who desire one are very vocal (on-line).

I think at the very min I am going to drill a hole to access the oil/filter and the jack point. I do seasonal tire/wheel swaps and really like that center jack point up front. My primary reason for the skid is to protect the vulnerable oil pan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes - i did actually allready receive and mount the skid plate - that's why I mentioned the quality - will post some pics asap !

·
Registered
7 Posts
The manufacturer responded within hours, extremely polite.

He advised over $300 shipping to the US by air, then stated sea transport would be cheaper but approx 40-45 days. Waiting on a quote for sea shipping at this time.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The manufacturer responded within hours, extremely polite.
Of course he is polite. He wants to sell.

He advised over $300 shipping to the US by air, then stated sea transport would be cheaper but approx 40-45 days. Waiting on a quote for sea shipping at this time.
The air shipping $ is made-up and over the top. The sea shipping is stupidly over-estimated. If the fool wanted to sell to US customers (for example) he would have a US broker who stocks them. It is done all the time.

To me the product is just-in-time (not) manufactured. He's hiding the fact that he's making money from shipping. If you want one, you are put into a queue and if the numbers don't work out for our model's cheapness, yer screwed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone order that front and rear bumper guards off of aliexpress?
Which ones are yo referring to?

I recently got dinged on my front bumper.

Scratches, and the bumper is misaligned. All this from some guy that don't know how to either 1) exit from a parking space or 2) enter into a parking space.

Needless to say, I wasn't there to witness it. :mad::wall

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had a local waterjet shop (in Albuquerque) cut a skidplate from wallaceg's design. The cost for material (1/8" 5052 aluminum) and cutting was just under $100. They did a primo job on it. If you're trying to build one and don't have a local source to get it cut, the folks who did the work for me are super friendly and do a fair amount of out-of-town business, so they're well set up for shipping finished parts. You can contact them at Waterjet Cutting, Inc - or you can call them at 505-842-9500.

I have no connection with this firm other than as a very satisfied customer.
Keep in mind that if you work with them, you are buying a part cut to the shape in the file. They are not bending it - you will have to deal with that once you get the part.

·
Registered
279 Posts
He's got variations for 4 and 6. Mine's v6, and 1 of his first versions that doesn't include access to oil change. The current version has a hatch to access drain and filter. I don't know the current pricing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
another Albq source for Wallaceg's design

I had a second skidplate made for my other RAV4 at Saltey Dogg in Albququerque. They're the folks who bent the plate I mentioned a couple of posts back. When I went there to get it bent I discovered they could waterjet the stock too. So, if you want to go with Wallaceg's design and don't have a local source, call Wayne at Saltey Dogg - 505-244-DOGG (344). Check out their work at Salteydogg Metal Fab - some very nice stuff there.
A ready-to-mount plate from 1/8" 5052 aluminum - waterjet cutting, hand deburring, CNC bending was $147. They are willing to pack and ship anywhere in the US. Just a heads-up - the bolt holes did NOT align on my 2009 RAV4 6-cyl AWD base. We had to drill a couple of holes in the frame to mount the front of the skidplate. No big deal in my book, but you might not feel the same way. Wayne said he keeps all drawings/CAD files forever, so you don't even have to send them if it's a hassle for you.

I have no connection to Saltey Dodd other than as a very satisfied customer. (This second skidplate was ready for pickup two days after I sent the files!). I didn't even know they existed until two weeks ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw an interesting design. It was for an older Euro 4 cyl but I bet the concept could be used for newer North American RAV4 4 and 6 cyl. The concept incorporated brackets or rails that mounted to the frame in optimal spots, possibly utilizing long bolts and sleeves to extend out from the bolt areas and solidly connect to the metal or aluminium skid plate. So the skid plate is mounted to the brackets and not the frame of the vehicle.

This is how the skid plate for my VW diesel was done as well.

I just had to have my OEM plate reattached as it was pulled off likely when backing out of snow. I cannot believe the poor design of the OEM part and am a little surprised that not one shop has created, mass produced and sold a zero hassle skid plate for our vehicles. This is especially so as I see so many options offered overseas.

There were a few North American suppliers of skid plates for my old diesel Golf. They really protect an engine/oil pan from snow, salt, ice chunks. debris etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's an idea - spray the original part with truck bed liner urethane - amazingly strong stuff....do you think that would stiffen/strengthen it?...then maybe add a few more attachment points to keep it in place when mounted?

81 - 100 of 113 Posts