Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 08 RAV (4cyl, AWD) has been down some pretty nasty trails... muddy enough to ball up on all 4 tires to the point that they wouldn't steer or turn. Don't do that... the weight of the mud will pull all those pretty plastic wheel wells down and the traction control is a nightmare I could do without. It's not all fun for me, I actually sample creeks under flood conditions as part of my work. Like Dr. Dyno I found out the evap system is a bigger concern than the skid plates, but I really should invest for some solid metal for both. I have the metal 09 style guard on the filter itself, but the plastic lines from the tank have been ripped off on several occasions and I think there's a part to the left of the filter that disappeared a couple years ago. Whoever thought they should put plastic under a 4x4 should be shot. For those that don't think a RAV can take a little abuse, drive off the highway and learn a little.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My 08 RAV (4cyl, AWD) has been down some pretty nasty trails... muddy enough to ball up on all 4 tires to the point that they wouldn't steer or turn. Don't do that... the weight of the mud will pull all those pretty plastic wheel wells down and the traction control is a nightmare I could do without. It's not all fun for me, I actually sample creeks under flood conditions as part of my work. Like Dr. Dyno I found out the evap system is a bigger concern than the skid plates, but I really should invest for some solid metal for both. I have the metal 09 style guard on the filter itself, but the plastic lines from the tank have been ripped off on several occasions and I think there's a part to the left of the filter that disappeared a couple years ago. Whoever thought they should put plastic under a 4x4 should be shot. For those that don't think a RAV can take a little abuse, drive off the highway and learn a little.
Wow, someone more hardcore than me! Props to you!
What's the "09 style guard on the filter itself" are you referring to? Is that the metal cage around the evap?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I bought a skid plate from a member on this site. Have not installed it. It is more of a replacement for when my wife ripped off the stock plastic one, or when the RAV starts to age and we use it more for trail head approaches.

The skid is a little more than a sheet of aluminum with a few slight bends in it, and several holes. I think it was based on a design of another member.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe I should've scrolled through all 11 pages before responding, but I was looking for a lead to a replacement skid plate/belly pan for my '07 4.3. I lost the original in a snow bank in 2008/2009. After that, little by little, the wheel well jackets started falling off and rubbing on the wheels. Now after 240k miles, there's almost nothing left.

So, despite the pros & cons, which people are so inclined to offer in lieu of straight answers, where can I get replacement undercarriage protection for this hog without going OEM?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I might have to do the same as you did, Tankd0g. I saw the RASTA page last night before I posted and sent them an email. Not sure if they're even in the United States or not. Time will tell. I'll update this thread if I find anything pre-fabricated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I might have to do the same as you did, Tankd0g. I saw the RASTA page last night before I posted and sent them an email. Not sure if they're even in the United States or not. Time will tell. I'll update this thread if I find anything pre-fabricated.
In this post I provide the contact info for a shop in Albq that will fab one for you from the plans posted on this thread. About $150 + shipping for 1/8" aluminum plate. I have one on my '07 and one on my '09.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In this post I provide the contact info for a shop in Albq that will fab one for you from the plans posted on this thread. About $150 + shipping for 1/8" aluminum plate. I have one on my '07 and one on my '09.
I know this is an old post, but I'm interested in the contact info for the shop you mentioned that's fabricating skid plates for the 3rd gen. RAV4. However, the link in your post isn't working for me. Do you know if the shop is still selling these skid plates, and, if so, could you post their contact info? Thank you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
another Albq source for Wallaceg's design

I had a second skidplate made for my other RAV4 at Saltey Dogg in Albququerque. They're the folks who bent the plate I mentioned a couple of posts back. When I went there to get it bent I discovered they could waterjet the stock too. So, if you want to go with Wallaceg's design and don't have a local source, call Wayne at Saltey Dogg - 505-244-DOGG (344). Check out their work at Salteydogg Metal Fab - some very nice stuff there.
A ready-to-mount plate from 1/8" 5052 aluminum - waterjet cutting, hand deburring, CNC bending was $147. They are willing to pack and ship anywhere in the US. Just a heads-up - the bolt holes did NOT align on my 2009 RAV4 6-cyl AWD base. We had to drill a couple of holes in the frame to mount the front of the skidplate. No big deal in my book, but you might not feel the same way. Wayne said he keeps all drawings/CAD files forever, so you don't even have to send them if it's a hassle for you.

I have no connection to Saltey Dodd other than as a very satisfied customer. (This second skidplate was ready for pickup two days after I sent the files!). I didn't even know they existed until two weeks ago.
Just found the info!

·
Registered
429 Posts
The rav4 is very capable offroad. We drive on crazy logging roads, fields, steep hills, deep snow, and slippery boat ramps without problem. I would love to make some skid plates, but I really don't need them. If you are bumping your skid plates, you are likely breaking something else. It's not hard to bend frame members/suspension components with impacts, so a skid plate is just giving you an excuse to hit stuff.

If there's a rock, you can do 3 things....

go a
Move it
Hit it

the last is not an option for me.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I'm interested in the contact info for the shop you mentioned that's fabricating skid plates for the 3rd gen. RAV4. However, the link in your post isn't working for me. Do you know if the shop is still selling these skid plates, and, if so, could you post their contact info? Thank you!
The rav4 is very capable offroad. We drive on crazy logging roads, fields, steep hills, deep snow, and slippery boat ramps without problem. I would love to make some skid plates, but I really don't need them. If you are bumping your skid plates, you are likely breaking something else. It's not hard to bend frame members/suspension components with impacts, so a skid plate is just giving you an excuse to hit stuff.

If there's a rock, you can do 3 things....

go a
Move it
Hit it

the last is not an option for me.
Not quite true. A couple of years ago I headed out to Death Valley with my family. Typically I take my more off road oriented truck. However we are a family of 4 and were going to be in the car for a couple thousand miles over a week+, and my truck is only a midsize extra cab. Many of the roads out there are crowned with the tire tracks several inches below the center of the road. These are also fairly high speed tracks. It was very easy to bounce around, compress the suspension and contact rocks with the center of the car. Both the transmission and oil pan are in front and the lowest point of contact. I do not run the skid plate all the time, as it makes some noise. After the trip upon removal and inspect there was probably 10 or so contact marks on the ski plate. Would they have torn the pans, probably not. Was I willing to take this risk 50 miles down a lonesome dirt road, solo vehicle with my family: NO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The RAV is the wrong vehicle, think Jeep. It isn't meant for anything other than dirt roads and it's not a 4X4. Why would such rugged protection plates and so forth be offered for what is essentially a soccer mom mobile/grocery getter?

You can get the real thing in a Jeep for $25K with the new Pentastar V6.
Isn't Pentastar a Chinese engine?...unreliable

·
Super Moderator
11,014 Posts
Where are Pentastar engines made?
Production. The Pentastar engines are made in three different factories: Dundee Engine Plant, Trenton Engine Plant and Saltillo South Engine Plant.

Is the Pentastar a good engine?
The Pentastar is rock solid. It had teething issues in 2012 when they first dropped it in the Wrangler, but overall it's been rock solid. Very dependable, very efficient, makes good power. It's a far better engine than what Toyota is using these days.Jun 11, 2019

101 - 113 of 113 Posts