Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Why did my Prime start charging early?

573 9
I've programmed my R4P to start charging at midnight. A couple of times over the last few months, it started charging earlier than that. I'm not sure if it was immediately after I plugged it in or at some point between then and midnight. I usually check the indicator light on the charge port to make sure it's blinking, not solid, after I plug the EVSE in.

What could cause the car to start charging earlier than the specified start time?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
*1:Charging schedule function is
performed in accordance with
the clock in the multi-information
display. Before registering the
charging schedule, check the
clock settings to the proper time.

*2:There might be a slight error in
the timing when charging starts
due to the state of the hybrid battery
(traction battery).

*3:When the system determines
that there is no time to finish
charging by the set scheduled
departure time, it starts charging.
Check the charging schedules.

*4:If sudden changes in temperature
or changes in the condition
of the power source occur while
charging, charging may not end
exactly at the time estimated by
the system.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime Supersonic Red
365 Posts
The car will also charge charging immediately if you plug in the EVSE, unplug it, and plug it back in. That is an intentional shortcut for overriding the programed schedule.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The car will also charge charging immediately if you plug in the EVSE, unplug it, and plug it back in. That is an intentional shortcut for overriding the programed schedule.
Does it? My Volt does this but I remember trying to use the unplug/replug trick with the R4P and it didn't work. I'll try it again, and also check the clock as that is the only plausible explanation from the list of 4 issues in the manual (as posted by crisps).

Indeed unplugging and replugging does start charging immediately, so it must be that there was a brief disconnect. The clock shows the right time, although I guess it's possible that there are occasional screwups with getting the correct time from whatever server it gets it from.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
1,009 Posts
The clock shows the right time, although I guess it's possible that there are occasional screwups with getting the correct time from whatever server it gets it from.
It's not likely the time had anything to do with it. Computers usually ping one of the many globally trusted time servers (time-%-%.nist.gov, time.google.com, etc.) every minute, every five minutes, or any time the network status changes. The local time is only updated if a successful connection is made to a time server and the current time is downloaded (which involves checksums and other data validation techniques at the network layer).

I'm leaning towards a brief power outage, one just long enough to make the car think, "Oh, my power port had voltage, then it didn't, then two seconds later it did. Better charge now!"

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not likely the time had anything to do with it. Computers usually ping one of the many globally trusted time servers (time-%-%.nist.gov, time.google.com, etc.) every minute, every five minutes, or any time the network status changes. The local time is only updated if a successful connection is made to a time server and the current time is downloaded (which involves checksums and other data validation techniques at the network layer).

I'm leaning towards a brief power outage, one just long enough to make the car think, "Oh, my power port had voltage, then it didn't, then two seconds later it did. Better charge now!"
The Volt can tell the difference between plugging/unplugging and a power outage. Most likely the Prime can, too. I think there is something about the handshaking between the EVSE and the car that signals whether a it's a power outage or an unplugging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a question on this. I have my Prime scheduled to depart at 7:40am daily. I just got a new EVSE and prior to that was using the supplied cord.
I have noticed that the car started charging really early. Like Midnight, amd completed around 3:30am.
Does the car need to learn to charge closer to the departure time? It has never seemed to line up closer than an hour orbhour and a half beforehand. Even with the 120v charger.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
1,119 Posts
I have a question on this. I have my Prime scheduled to depart at 7:40am daily. I just got a new EVSE and prior to that was using the supplied cord.
I have noticed that the car started charging really early. Like Midnight, amd completed around 3:30am.
Does the car need to learn to charge closer to the departure time? It has never seemed to line up closer than an hour orbhour and a half beforehand. Even with the 120v charger.
Mine always finishes about 25 mins before the scheduled departure time. With the OEM 120V 12A EVSE, or, a Lectron 240V 32A EVSE.

As for why your charging starts early, if you are sure the schedule / time are set in vehicle correctly (set vehicle to do GPS time / auto DST), it could be your EVSE misidentifying itself to the vehicle as a lower power unit than it really is. Try different EVSE and see if the problem is repeatable to rule this out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is the EVSE. As the same behavior happened at work on a ChargePoint EVSE. I had it scheduled for a 1:30pm departure, but it started charging at 8:30am. And my battery is not drained.
All my times are set correctly, too.
I'll check the GPS/DTS settings.

Interestingly, the HVAC comes on exactly 20 minutes before departure time, as set. Since they run 20 minutes. So, that part of scheduling is spot on.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
1,119 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is the EVSE. As the same behavior happened at work on a ChargePoint EVSE. I had it scheduled for a 1:30pm departure, but it started charging at 8:30am. And my battery is not drained.
All my times are set correctly, too.
I'll check the GPS/DTS settings.

Interestingly, the HVAC comes on exactly 20 minutes before departure time, as set. Since they run 20 minutes. So, that part of scheduling is spot on.
Hmm, then the clock / scheduling part is fine. I have not a clue. Pull the 12V and do a master reset?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts