Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that RAV4 is of 50/50 power distribution. That means front wheels take the same power as the rear wheels. They all should have the same traction and wear, shouldn't they. I checked my tires and found front tires wear more. why??

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hi wengv,

Here are a few reasons.

1. When you brake there is more load up front.
2. When you turn (especially sharp at high speed) there is much load and some inertia gets lost onto the front tires. Especially their outer edge.
3. Also if you turn and accelerate there is wear
4. To add to this you do normally have more weight up front. Engine/Driver/Passenger.

Later,

Walt :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The 50:50 power distribution (4WD) only refers to the power being transmitted equally to all wheels. However, the reason that the front tires wear out faster is because:

as mentioned above, the front tires support the majority of the weight of the car (engine, trans, etc). This frontal weight affects tire wear during turns, acceleration, and braking. In other words, the front tires take most of the abuse from your car when driven.

It is important to rotate your tires in a timely fashion as you would with oil changes and other routine maintenance. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts