Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason for the lower speed compared to Honda's 60 mph? Does this mean the PCS will not activate in the event of a pending crash? The ACC works really well and I would surmise the two systems are using the same radar/monitoring system.

TOYOTA CANADA: Lexus And Toyota Roll-Out Low-Cost Automated Braking Safety Packages

Pre-collision System (PCS)

PCS uses a camera and laser radar to detect objects ahead of the vehicle. When the system determines there is a possibility of collision it prompts the driver to brake with an audio and visual alert. If the driver notices the hazard and brakes, the system provides additional braking force. If the driver fails to brake in a set time, the system automatically applies the brakes, reducing speed by approximately 30 km/h *1 in order to prevent or mitigate the collision. The operational range of PCS covers speeds at which at least 80 percent of rear-end collisions occur (i.e. relative speeds of between approximately 10–80 km/h).

Honda CMBS
Collision Mitigation Braking System - Threshold - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
It would certainly have something to do with the distance traveled in the time it takes to react. That said, mine has reacted at speeds up to 70MPH.

The quoted reference also specifies "relative speeds", which does not necessarily equal vehicle speed.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toyota's definition of relative speed is the differential between the car and the object in front? When approaching a standing concrete or steel post, the relative speed is the traveling speed. :)

If the PCS works when the vehicle and an object in front have a speed differential anywhere from 5-50 mph, that would probably cover even the turtles and cheetahs on the highway. I don't think anyone is going to go 50 over my speed of 65.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts