Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1997 RAV4 4X4 less than one week ago. A Toyota dealer provided an emission test report based on Ontario vehicle transaction regulation.
To my surprise, NO was not tested. HC, CO and dilution are checked, but NO is marked as N/A. Does anybody know why? NO is a culprit of smog. How does California handle it for RAV4 there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
4VAR said:
I just got a 1997 RAV4 4X4 less than one week ago. A Toyota dealer provided an emission test report based on Ontario vehicle transaction regulation.
To my surprise, NO was not tested. HC, CO and dilution are checked, but NO is marked as N/A. Does anybody know why? NO is a culprit of smog. How does California handle it for RAV4 there?
The equipment to test NOx is not the same as that used to test HC and CO2, and it's a lot more expensive. Ontario probably doens't have it, most places don't. If it was tested and you were "over the limit" there's not much you would be able to do to fix the problem either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since Ontario started emission test in 1998, only 2 emission testing equipments are appoved by the provincial government. Both of them can test NOx beside HC, CO and others. My previous car Honda Prelude 1986 passed 3 time emission tests before. NOx was tested in all cases. Testing NOx is mandatory for a passenger car. Requirements for heavy trucks and other commerial vehicles as well as diesel engine vehicles are not strict. But I don't think RAV4 belongs to this category. RAV4 is basically a light passenger car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
The reason is that vehicles where all four wheels are driven all the time can't be put on the roller dyno that Drive Clean uses to test NOx. Instead, AWD vehicles only have to pass a simpler two-speed idle test that just tests CO and HC at idle and 2500 rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
4VAR said:
Since Ontario started emission test in 1998, only 2 emission testing equipments are appoved by the provincial government. Both of them can test NOx beside HC, CO and others. My previous car Honda Prelude 1986 passed 3 time emission tests before. NOx was tested in all cases. Testing NOx is mandatory for a passenger car. Requirements for heavy trucks and other commerial vehicles as well as diesel engine vehicles are not strict. But I don't think RAV4 belongs to this category. RAV4 is basically a light passenger car.
It is classified as an SUV so we get to pay higher insurance and tax but at least we get away with less strict emmisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
In Ontario it's only the drivetrain that determines what standards you have to pass, not whether it's an SUV or car. So Subarus and Audis with quattro are also exempt from NOx testing, but 2WD or part-time 4WD SUVs aren't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
bmorton said:
In Ontario it's only the drivetrain that determines what standards you have to pass, not whether it's an SUV or car. So Subarus and Audis with quattro are also exempt from NOx testing, but 2WD or part-time 4WD SUVs aren't.
We don't have any testing at all here so I don't really have to worry about that :) It costs more to register and insure a truck/suv than a car here but that's based on weight, if they ever put testing in place here more than half the cars on the road now will be headed for the junk yard I'm sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am convinced by bmorton's professional explanation.

I agree with tankd0g that less strict emission standard for RAV4 is an extra bonus for us. I am glad to have bought a 4X4 instead of 2 wheel drive RAV4. I almost failed in last summer's emssion test for my 1986 Prelude. NOx was just 0.3% befow limit. I don't need to worry about this situation for RAV4 anymore.

Thank you all for your reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have further question based on bmorton's post.
Even leave RAV4 at idle or 2500 rpm on the ground, we can still get NOx reading. Is it because the reading is not reliable so that we have to ignore it?
What factors causes unstable reading - Unsufficient engine load that results in undesired condition of EGR, ignition advance or others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
Well, NOx is only really produced by the engine when it's under load at a high combustion temperature, and very little if any is produced at idle. So for a real-world test of NOx emissions they have to load the engine by using a dyno to simulate driving. A faulty EGR system could cause a 2WD vehicle to fail the NOx portion of the test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
bmorton said:
Well, NOx is only really produced by the engine when it's under load at a high combustion temperature, and very little if any is produced at idle. So for a real-world test of NOx emissions they have to load the engine by using a dyno to simulate driving. A faulty EGR system could cause a 2WD vehicle to fail the NOx portion of the test.
I guess my POS Chevy truck I had would probably fail then, since the EGR valve was in a bag under the seat :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top