Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know dual exhaust on a car or SUV looks pretty cool and in most cases serves a purpose. How come almost all SUV's today have dual exhaust except the RAV4?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Because almost all of those SUVs you see with dual exhaust aren't dual exhaust. They have one pipe, converter and muffler, then it splits into two exhaust outlets. Because it looks cool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
weight usually. added pipe, tip and hangers. Plus the added difficulty of routing it with gas tanks and things. Kinda like when Honda started putting dual exhaust on dirtbikes. Everyone wanted it then figured out you could save 10 pounds with a single.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Probably Unnecessary extra cost and extra pipe routing issues...I doubt that 95% of RAV4 buyers really care how many pipes are coming out of the back of their newly purchased vehicle. Just my line of thought :)

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Because almost all of those SUVs you see with dual exhaust aren't dual exhaust. They have one pipe, converter and muffler, then it splits into two exhaust outlets. Because it looks cool.
Yep, that's the way my Accord is set up. Bet if you looked under many other dual-exhaust-looking cars you see the same thing.

Heck, my '61 VW Beetle had dual exhaust but I don't think it fooled anyone.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
why stop at two pipes, the wrx sti has 4 tips! lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great point!

Not like years ago when dual exhaust was really dual exhaust all the way from the headers.

I guess besides the weight issue it most likely the cost and like someone said routing all those pipes and stuff around all the things that are underneath cars these days. Remember when you could "sit" under the hood on a fender and change spark plugs? Now you can't even get your hand in there.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Not like years ago when dual exhaust was really dual exhaust all the way from the headers.

I guess besides the weight issue it most likely the cost and like someone said routing all those pipes and stuff around all the things that are underneath cars these days. Remember when you could "sit" under the hood on a fender and change spark plugs? Now you can't even get your hand in there.
You're right! I remember the first time I popped the hood on a 1970 Monte Carlo, had to be 2 feet from the radiator to the fan!

·
Registered
406 Posts
No point in 2 tailpipes on a 4 pot, just a styling feature. It needs to be a 6 cylinder engine at least.

Other than Lancia, where twin pipes was a styling feature on their HF models for years.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Dual exhaust - unless needed for performance and not simply a cosmetic add-on means more parts to replace if rust or corrosion occurs, and with smaller engines the flow-through isn't sufficient to avoid and eliminate combustion products condensation which contributes to those problems.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
If you see a Toyota Venza with dual exhaust, it's the 3.5L V6 model. The 2.7 I4 only had a single tail pipe with a plastic spacer on the other side. Funny the V6 RAV4 had the same engine, but no dual exhaust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some of those cool dual exhaust cars also have two pairs of oxygen sensors. I don't think you want that. I have two RAV4s, an '09 with 4WD and a '12 with 2WD, both I4s . I wouldn't change a thing on either of them, (well, maybe a small item or two :)). Not the exhaust though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts