Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sounds more likely that the Prime fob was within range - did you leave the house, turn off the Prime at your destination, and were able to re-start it? If yes, you're sure a Prime fob wasn't in a pocket, purse, wallet, etc?
The key fob was in a kitchen drawer while I was out running errands miles away. There's no way the RAV4 fob was affecting the car. See this video of the RAV4 being started and stopped with my wife's Miata fob.

Is this unusual? Is there anything I can do about it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Interesting. It could very well be that Toyota/Lexus and Mazda use the same key fob manufacture.

Wife's Miata FOB could be identical to the husband R4P, internally (chips, etc), but obviously look different on the outside.

Hope OP reports back. Hopefully it was just an issue of OP never turned the R4P OFF when he returned w/ wife's Mita FOB.
I made a video of the RAV4 being started and stopped with my wife's Miata fob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to make sure I understand the statement;
Bad/no odds that OP was mistaken = Good odds that the Mazda key FOB starts Toyota R4P.

From Wiki;
The Sagan standard is a neologism abbreviating the aphorism that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" (ECREE).[1] It is named after science communicator Carl Sagan who used the exact phrase on his television program Cosmos.

I think chances are slim to none that OP will provide extraordinary evidence (video) of the claim that the Mazda key fob has immobilizer for Toyota R4P. It is more likely a (human) mistake/misunderstanding in some way.

Need more data. Original Poster (OP), please come back and tell us what you found.
I made a video of the RAV4 being started and stopped with my wife's Miata fob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The key fob was in a kitchen drawer while I was out running errands miles away. There's no way the RAV4 fob was affecting the car. See this video of the RAV4 being started and stopped with my wife's Miata fob.

Is this unusual? Is there anything I can do about it?
OK. I screwed up. I admit it. There was a RAV4 fob in the storage area in the car, under some other stuff I moved in from my old Subaru. I'm 71 and just didn't see it. I apologize for creating a big deal about nothing.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
167 Posts
What you’re describing should be technically as rare as getting struck by lightning while an earthquake starts just as you walk in the door to cash your winning powerball ticket. Keep us posted!
Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are. :)

As per the OP's later post, it was all due to the Toyota key FOB being in the vicinity all the time. But your assessment is pretty accurate, the odds are ridiculously low. One of my (too many) hobbies is software defined radio, and while it's definitely possible to defeat the rolling code approach that I described earlier in this thread using a couple of SDR's, finding another vendor's FOB that does the job by default is pretty much unheard of.

·
Registered
885 Posts
OK. I screwed up. I admit it. There was a RAV4 fob in the storage area in the car, under some other stuff I moved in from my old Subaru. I'm 71 and just didn't see it. I apologize for creating a big deal about nothing.
Are you going to remove your video from the YouTube.
You may torment other Democrats of Greater Tucson (that was your username or usergroup)

·
Registered
2011 Barcelona Red Rav4 Sport
92 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: northwoodshyun

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I believe I have found a security problem with my new 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime. The key fob for my wife's 2021 Mazda MX5 Miata starts and runs the Toyota.

As I was leaving my house to run errands, I grabbed the wrong key fob from a drawer. They all look identical. I was surprised to discover that the Mazda key fob starts and runs my Toyota. Have you ever heard of this before? Has anyone reported a similar security problem?
I had a Yamaha DT 400 Enduro and the key worked in my father’s motorcycle.

Luck of the draw. Maybe there is not an unlimited number of frequencies.

My first home was under the flight path and on rare occasions when low flying commercial jets flew overhead my garage door would open.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts