Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got an oil change and the shop put in 10-40w. If im correct this is a high mileage oil for older engines? the manuel on my rav recommends 5-30w to 10-30w so why would the shop use 10-40w? He told me it would help my rav run better but so far it just feels like its got sludge in the engine and is having problems getting into gear and switching between them like there is to much oil in the car. I checked the dip stick and it looks fine. So is the 10-40w hurting my car? or am I just parranoyed.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
He should have put 5w-30 just like your manual recommends.

Maybe he ran out of 5 & 10w-30.:roll:

Do you have high mileage with some engine problems? Like burning oil or blowing smoke?

Anyhow 5w-30 will give better mileage and it runs freer on cold starts (winter).

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It won't hurt your car but it is obviously not the viscosity that the engineers that designed your engine think is best. Your enigne will last longer and perform better with the correct weight. Be certain that the people you are paying to change your oil use the correct weight the next time. Theoretically you will get poorer fuel mileage and less lubrication in cold weather during intital start up with the 10w-40.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Will 10-40w Oil help My RAV?

Tribe said:
Ok I got an oil change and the shop put in 10-40w. If im correct this is a high mileage oil for older engines? the manuel on my RAV recommends 5-30w to 10-30w so why would the shop use 10-40w? He told me it would help my RAV run better but so far it just feels like its got sludge in the engine and is having problems getting into gear and switching between them like there is to much oil in the car. I checked the dip stick and it looks fine. So is the 10-40w hurting my car? or am I just parranoyed.
It won't hurt, nor is it causing the problems you are experiencing. You should use 5W-30 though, as Toyota recommends. Using a thicker oil will be ok in summer, but will be slower to lubricate the moving parts on cold start ups in the winter. You got lied to. Run better, my ass. Just get 5W-30 next time.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K thanks guys. I live in cali and its almost summer anyways. Ill just do it myself next time :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts