Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Will 235/70 R16's work on my Rav?

36K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  05RAV 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking to put 235/70 R16's on my 2004 Rav4 AWD Limited. Will these work without rub? Right now I'm running 235/60 R16's on there and I would like to run a bit beefier of an all terrain tire. Please let me know!

Thanks!

#2 ·
The 70 series tire you stated will mathematically be 1.85" taller than the 60 series tire you have. The taller tire also places extra load on the drive train/decreases performance. Not sure a taller tire is considered beefier:shrug:......more plies under the tread/in the sidewalls, higher load range and deeper tread make for a beefier tire.

#4 ·
Yes 235/70/16 will fit on a 4.2.

I passed from 235/60/16 to LT225/75/16. So passed from 27.1'' to 29.2'' overall diameter, it gives 1 inch more ground clearance.

I have BFG AT K02 and love them. These are even a little better than I expected for winter use. But because these are bigger and much heavier tires, it accelerate slower than before.

#6 ·
I mounted Nokian Line Suv 235/70 R16 without doing any modification. The most closest part is front fender. İts about 20mm but There is no rubbing even when the steering wheel full turn and is oscillating at the same time. İt Works.

Attachments

#10 ·
Yes it will. 235/70/16 are 28.9 in diameter, and my 225/75/16 are 29.3 in diameter. It fits ''tightly'' in the spare space without spacer.

#12 ·
No extended bolts for me. But maybe yours may need a little spacer because the 235 are a bit larger than my 225. Don't know if you want to keep your spare cover, but it will not fit! ;)

Reactions: rav4chris
#14 ·
OME lift kits dont use spacers. Their coil springs give 1.25'' lift. The total kit come with new rear shocks that have a different valving.

But the stock rear RAV4 shocks are long enough for much more lift.

#16 ·
I have 40mm coil spacers with stock shocks and there is still plenty travel.

#18 ·
Mine is a 2001 RAV4.2. I will soon try new rear shocks from 2003-2009 4Runner. They are the same lenght as the RAV4, but with a stiffer valving. The only physical difference is that the hole in the bottom bushing is a little bigger than the RAV4 one. Will try to use the RAV4 bushings.

In your case, may-be your rear shocks were replaced by shorter ones....
If my memory is good; they should be 24-25 inches long (fully extended)... between bottom and top bushings.

#20 ·
On the size spec chart (lenght fully closed and fully open), the 2003-2009 4Runner rear shocks were about the same lenghts as the RAV4.2 rear shocks. So I called a set.

But when I received them, they were about 3 inches shorter fully open. So with the 40mm lift, they were almost to short (not enough travel when lifting the RAV), which means less flex or off road. Other than that, the shock body is a little bit larger, but it clears the RAV4. Another ''problem'', is that the hole for the bottom fixing point is lager in diameter than the RAV4 one.

So I put them on the RAV4 (with a sleeve in the bottom hole)... then went for a ride. I was so happy with the stiffer valving result, that I kept them!

To get the fully open lenght I was looking for (24-25 in), I shimmed the upper threaded rod (between the shock body and the bushings). I also cut the bottom ''loop'' from my old RAV4 shocks, and welded them under the 4Runner shock's loops. It's now perfect for me, and I'm very happy with the result. The shocks are KYB, and cost me a total of 92$ for both.

#23 ·
Bartlomiej - A 30” tire I think is exceeding the useful size for a 4.2. With either a 4-5 speed transmission, no low range, and little chance of regearing, you’d be left with a thirsty, gutless, 4WD with no useful suspension articulation left. That’s not even taking into account what few tire choices you’d have at 235/75-16.
If you follow the off-road specific builds on this forum, which there are many good ones, I think you’ll find springs AND spacers utilized to functionally clear 235/70-16s.
Aside from looks, I don’t believe 235/75-16s would be of much benefit.

#24 ·
Most A/T 225/75/16 and 235/70/16 tires fit without any lift... I did it. The limit is not how much the RAV4.2 is lifted... the limit is the front wheel arch itself. I don't know how to explain it. The clearance is too limited in front and back of the front tires (between the front tires and the bumper, and between the front tires and the rocker panels). Lifted like my RAV4 is right now, I tried 30'' tires half a mile, and they were rubbing badly.... even with minimal steering angle at low speed on a flat surface (no bump!).

I'm sure you can find a way to fit 30'' tires.... but I agree with 05RAV that there is absolutely no benefits to do this. It won't be fully functionnal, and you won't have fun driving it.

If you choose to try it, let us know if we were right or not. ;)

#25 ·
Hello friends ,

I have a question about the tires .. I have a Rav4 2.0 3 doors 2005 year , my Rav4 has a tire size of 235-60 R16, I want to change them to BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 . 225-70R16. will they catch me when I turn the whole steering wheel, forward or backward. Will I have problems with this dimension of the tire, or should I put the normal dimension 215-70R16

#29 ·
@MGL_Rav4er can I know why your avatar is a photo of my RAV4??? :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.