Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2001 RAV4 (2WD) in my area for sale and I got them to go down to $12,500. It has 70,000 miles on it though. Assuming it was somewhat properly maintained and treated, would you recommend going ahead and purchasing this vehicle? I would hope to get atleast another 70,000 (hassle-free) miles. If this is not expected, I'll move on and look at something else in this price range that has lower miles. I can handle some minor repairs here and there. Just don't want the thing to end up as a rattle trap in 20k miles.

Also, how is that price?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If it was maintained well and you continue to do so,i think many people will tell you it will last more than another 70,000.

Mine is an 02 but i only put 14,000 km on mine.

Make sure it was owned by only that one owner, well maintained with all service records and vehicle record. Look at what kind of tires an parts the owner put on it. If they are really cheep than i would stay away. Also have your mechanic do a good check on it. In the past i have known auto dealers that fixed the OD.

Cheers,

Walt

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Walt. I appreciate your feedback. I agree with what you say about making sure its a one owner car and such. In fact I used to buy older BMWs (because of the price) and so I would look at models that were about 10 years old and that were being sold by thier owner. But, I live in Houston now and the 'auto' culture here seems to be different. It is very very difficult (if not impossible) to find an actual private owner selling theiir car themselves. People just don't seem to care about making an extra buck. They'd rather just trade, even if it means loosing some cash. With that said, would buying this RAV4 from a dealer be a high risk especially since it has 70k?

Also, I have arranged to pick it up and drive it for a day. During that time I will have my friend take a look at it. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
70k miles should be ok....now...

If you had the service records and knew which dealership (if any) it was maintained at it would be easy to find out since you can just call, give them the VIN and find out what work was done on the car. That is what I did when I bought my rav4. I think I was lucky, I bought a 2001, 2WD, 5 speed with quick order package and 85k miles just about 2 months ago for $8800 from a private party. She was the only owner and had 90% or all her service records, and the thing is flawless. I think that is a decent price for buying from a dealership but private party is always better. Good luck, just knew you can always walk away if somethign does not feel right.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great advice here, not much more to add...

You got some pretty good advice out here.
The only other questions I would have....

How has the vehicle been used?
Has the vehicle been used for towing? If so, what was towed?
Are the miles from city or highway driving?
Was the vehicle ever involved in an accident?

Things to look for...

Check the undercarriage, engine and body for rust or damage.
Inspect the tires for uneven tire wear.
Inspect the exhaust pipes and muffler for holes or rust.
Test the steering, alignment and brakes.
Ask to see where the car was parked daily? Look for leaks or oil spots on the driveway.

70,000 miles on a 2001 is consider low to midrange out here in California. If all checks out well you should be able to get another 70,000 miles plus when maintained properly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ah, but of course a RAV can last more than 70 or 140k miles! :D
My RAV is a 2001 and I have just over 128k miles on it, and that's not doing as much driving as I did in the past when my commute was longer.

And there are RAV4.1 owners with upwards of 200k and 250k miles on their cars--Stelly in Washington state comes to mind.

All the advice about whether or not the vehicle has been in an accident and whether or not it received regular maintenance is right on the money. And you can ask to take it to an independent dealership or service shop and pay to have it inspected before you buy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have almost 70 000 on mine and it works like new. As stated another 70 would not be unreasonable for a well maintained vehicle. Taking the Rav to a third party independant place is very important, two weeks ago a firend of mine fell in love with a 3 year old Ford F150, and it was in amazing condition. When he took it to another mechanic, they told him the rear differential was bad, and gave him the price to fix it. He went back to the selling dealer ready to bargain down the repair price, and guess what? They knew!! In fact they told him maybe he is not interested in buying from them and maybe he should go elsewhere. He was a little upset, and asked them if they plan on selling the truck to someone else without disclosing the problem they actually asked him to leave. If he had not had the truck checked, that would have been bad, so a second opinion if probably the best advice, as it only cost him $40 to have someone look it over, but saved him lots more.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice all! Tomorrow I will taking the RAV4 to my buddy that has a garage. I hope things turn out good. If not, no biggie, there are other RAV4s out there. To be honest, the RAV4 never caught my eye, but after driving one I no longer want to look at any of the comparable models from other competing makes (ie: escape, santa fe, well those are the only others I looked at...I don't care for the CRV very much). And, you can't beat the gas mileage on these things. BTW...What mileage are you guys getting? city/hyw? I hear its 25/30. Anyways, I go camping and to the beach alot and my sedan I drive now just doesn't cut it, especially when I want to haul gear and my son and another passenger. Well, we will see what happens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Contriver said:
Thanks for the advice all! Tomorrow I will taking the RAV4 to my buddy that has a garage. I hope things turn out good.
Hey Contriver, just wondering if your cruising around in a RAV yet.:?:

RAVON 8)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Contriver said:
BTW...What mileage are you guys getting? city/hyw? I hear its 25/30.
There are a couple of threads about this topic. Do a search on gas mileage on the 4.2 forums and you'll find it :D. BTW, i get about 24-26mpg with city/hwy combined. Not bad! :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2001 2wd 4door rav here.

Mine has 138k miles on it now and though having problems with the wrong oil ) just got oil changed and they used 10-40w...

Runs great. I have run it to its max. Transmission went out at 90000 when I towed a Uhaul small trailor from St goerge Utah to San Diego. Still runs great and preforms like a champ on the freeway. Good car but I think mine is soon to die :/ prolyl around 180k-200k

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Honda Del Sol has 240K on it and runs fine. I'm the only owner and it still runs like it did when it was new and gets the same gas mileage. Unless you treat cars badly and drive them really hard, Toyotas and Hondas should run a long long time and have the usual maintenance costs over long periods of time (i.e., replacing things tha break, like exhaust, a clutch etc.). There's no reason to expect your RAV to die at 180-200K. Ridiculous. If it was a Ford, or some other crappy American car, yeah, expect the worst.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts