Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install some roof racks from Amazon, but don’t want my headliner to stain from any leaking. What I’m really asking is: is this safe to do or is it an unknown risk?

(I’ve read about leaks but haven’t followed the situation of others enough to know what causes it/how often it happens, etc.)

A side question: with cross bars installed, would a grown adult be able to “exit” the sunroof? Asking because sometimes I like to get out of my sunroof and onto the roof at night to look at the stars.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,763 Posts
There have not been enough reports to determine if the new orange gasket seals used in the 2021s have finally cured the leak issue. I have always thought the crossbars would make leakage more likely because wind buffetting would cause wiggling and friction on those flimsy o-rings and chew them up over time. This is pure speculation on my part.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There have not been enough reports to determine if the new orange gasket seals used in the 2021s have finally cured the leak issue. I have always thought the crossbars would make leakage more likely because wind buffetting would cause wiggling and friction on those flimsy o-rings and chew them up over time. This is pure speculation on my part.
Please post a source for your claim that all 2021s use a new, orange gasket. Also please post a part number

Thanks

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Please post a source for your claim that all 2021s use a new, orange gasket. Also please post a part number

Thanks
I have been following the very lengthy 24 page thread "2019 ROOF RACK LEAK" started on April 23, 2020 on this very forum. No one has been able to determine the part number of the new orange foam type gasket o-ring or if it is a different number from the original thinner gray/black paper type. That number is buried somewhere in the thread and you can dig through it to find it. My claim that 2021 Ravs have the new orange seal is based on the Dec. 20, 2020 Taiwanese YouTube video in which the flush roof rail of a new Rav4 is removed and the orange seals shown and discussed. Rail removal is at 14:02 . If Taiwan Rav4s had the orange seals in Dec 2020 it stands to reason by 2021 the US production does too.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have been following the very lengthy 24 page thread "2019 ROOF RACK LEAK" started on April 23, 2020 on this very forum. No one has been able to determine the part number of the new orange foam type gasket o-ring or if it is a different number from the original thinner gray/black paper type. That number is buried somewhere in the thread and you can dig through it to find it. My claim that 2021 Ravs have the new orange seal is based on the Dec. 20, 2020 Taiwanese YouTube video in which the flush roof rail of a new Rav4 is removed and the orange seals shown and discussed. Rail removal is at 14:02 . If Taiwan Rav4s had the orange seals in Dec 2020 it stands to reason by 2021 the US production does too.
I'm very familiar with the issue but you are guessing that an updated part is being used and guessing there was a switchover for 2021s.

We simply don't know

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm very familiar with the issue but you are guessing that an updated part is being used and guessing there was a switchover for 2021s.

We simply don't know
That is correct. I have no personal knowledge, I have not removed the rails on my new '21 XLE gas engine. No one has yet reported doing so on a '21 except the Taiwan video. If mine leaks this winter I will do the plug and silicon modification and report my findings.

·
Registered
319 Posts
To be fair to Toyota, they've been using these flimsy black rubber seals in all points of their cars for ages. Today I had to change a rear license plate light to LED module on my 2012 Prius v and whilst pulling the rear centre panel out, all I see are all the plastic clips lined with these thin as paper seals. I think for Toyota, they've been using it for ages albeit in non horizontal applications and they've yet to have any cases of leaks. With the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, they're only recycling what they've been using for many years..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.