Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Will installing non-OEM roof rack crossbars on my 2019 XLE make the roof leak?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SmellyTofu 
#1 ·
I want to install some roof racks from Amazon, but don’t want my headliner to stain from any leaking. What I’m really asking is: is this safe to do or is it an unknown risk?

(I’ve read about leaks but haven’t followed the situation of others enough to know what causes it/how often it happens, etc.)

A side question: with cross bars installed, would a grown adult be able to “exit” the sunroof? Asking because sometimes I like to get out of my sunroof and onto the roof at night to look at the stars.

Thanks.

#5 ·
There have not been enough reports to determine if the new orange gasket seals used in the 2021s have finally cured the leak issue. I have always thought the crossbars would make leakage more likely because wind buffetting would cause wiggling and friction on those flimsy o-rings and chew them up over time. This is pure speculation on my part.

#11 ·
To be fair to Toyota, they've been using these flimsy black rubber seals in all points of their cars for ages. Today I had to change a rear license plate light to LED module on my 2012 Prius v and whilst pulling the rear centre panel out, all I see are all the plastic clips lined with these thin as paper seals. I think for Toyota, they've been using it for ages albeit in non horizontal applications and they've yet to have any cases of leaks. With the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, they're only recycling what they've been using for many years..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.