Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 06’ will run on Ethanol (E85 gas mix)? Just curious as Arizona only has one station so far but hopefully that will expand. I know it is big in Europe. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not sure what E85 mix is, but the RAV can take up to 10% ethanol. Gasohol is OK, but may damage the paint if you spill it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rienolf said:
Does anyone know if the 06’ will run on Ethanol (E85 gas mix)? Just curious as Arizona only has one station so far but hopefully that will expand. I know it is big in Europe. Thanks
is it really big in europe? In Europe we have LPG cars, not Ethanol. I am not sure if you can get ethanol anywhere....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some Mercedes (those with the 3.2L V6), & most nerwer GM cars will run on it, SAAB is also getting ready to put a car set to run on it out. E85 is what its called in the US, is effectivly the same as gasahol. Brazil also is a big user. I suppose its avalability in Europe depends on where you live, just like in the US. I know it's avalable in Sweden anyway.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=Europe+E85+availability&spell=1

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=21960

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

regserver.unfccc.int/seors/ file_storage/farjjijlfopkan1.ppt

The last link seems to indicate that Toyota warrenties the use of it anyway. The main restriction is that ethonal desolves some types of plastic, and corrodes some alloys due to the water content.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, you rav will run on E85. To run it all the time you will need a kit from www.switch2e85.com and it does work good. I have ran a full tane with my 2007 rav4 v6 and the eng lite came on becouse of the o2 sensor sensed a fuel lean condition. I added a 1/2 tank at the 1/2 mark and the lite went out. The correct thing to do is get the converter becouse it extends the dwell timming the injector stays open when running E85 and is normal while running normal OPEC gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rienolf said:
Why bother? I'm not understanding this desire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
CarbonCrew said:
Rienolf said:
+1 E85 has 29% less energy density than gasoline!

E85 = 82,000 Btu/gal
Gasoline = 115,000 Btu/gal

But it does have 15-20% reduction in GHGs (greenhouse gases) over gasoline.

·
Registered
28 Posts
k7pfj said:
Yes, you rav will run on E85. To run it all the time you will need a kit from www.switch2e85.com and it does work good. I have ran a full tane with my 2007 rav4 v6 and the eng lite came on becouse of the o2 sensor sensed a fuel lean condition. I added a 1/2 tank at the 1/2 mark and the lite went out. The correct thing to do is get the converter becouse it extends the dwell timming the injector stays open when running E85 and is normal while running normal OPEC gas.
You will also need to swap out your fuel lines for lines that are approved for e85. The higher ethanol will eat through the current lines.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Keep in mind that while the price of E85 at the pump is less than regular at face value, the actual operating cost of using it is higher than running with even premium gasoline at this point.

Here is a chart that shows the adjsted cost of E85 compared to gasoline, after you factor in the fact that E85 provides about 25% less energy and MPG.

Note too that the cost of conversion to your Rav4 isn't cheap, and don't forget you need to replace the fuel line since the lines in the RAV aren't rated for corrosion resistance to anything more than 10% ethanol.

All this is perfectly acceptable if you want to do the conversion to be environmentally conscious, which is a commendable gesture IMO. But it doesn't make sense to do it with the expectation that you'll save any money running E85.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Carnivore said:
Keep in mind that while the price of E85 at the pump is less than regular at face value, the actual operating cost of using it is higher than running with even premium gasoline at this point.

Here is a chart that shows the adjsted cost of E85 compared to gasoline, after you factor in the fact that E85 provides about 25% less energy and MPG.

Note too that the cost of conversion to your Rav4 isn't cheap, and don't forget you need to replace the fuel line since the lines in the RAV aren't rated for corrosion resistance to anything more than 10% ethanol.

All this is perfectly acceptable if you want to do the conversion to be environmentally conscious, which is a commendable gesture IMO. But it doesn't make sense to do it with the expectation that you'll save any money running E85.
I know E85 reduces GHGs at the tail pipe of the car, but I have heard it takes alot of energy to make each gallon of E85, but have not seen a good engineering white paper on this to give some back up numbers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
isutechman said:
CarbonCrew said:
Rienolf said:
+1 E85 has 29% less energy density than gasoline!

E85 = 82,000 Btu/gal
Gasoline = 115,000 Btu/gal

But it does have 15-20% reduction in GHGs (greenhouse gases) over gasoline.
Vehicles that run E85 vs. Gasoline tend to see a fuel economy reduction of about 30%, this is according to fueleconomy.gov . So you'll need to burn 30% more E85. Effectively negating all of the NOx reduction you achieved by running E85 in the first place.

E85 is one big hoax. Without government subsidies it costs a lot more to produce. I won't begin to get into what ethanol does to food costs, that would take too long. It is ridiculous to say the least.

·
Registered
207 Posts
CarbonCrew said:
E85 is one big hoax. Without government subsidies it costs a lot more to produce. I won't begin to get into what ethanol does to food costs, that would take too long. It is ridiculous to say the least.
Has very little to do with food cost. Oil has more do do with food cost then the 15cents of corn thats in your frosted flakes. :roll:

·
Registered
13 Posts
T.H's TJ said:
CarbonCrew said:
Has very little to do with food cost. Oil has more do do with food cost then the 15cents of corn thats in your frosted flakes. :roll:
Wrong. Biofuels effects far more than the "15cents of corn that is in your frosted flakes". There are far more commodities to consider, such as wheat, rice, soybean, meats, milk, etc. It is a snow ball effect. But thanks for playing. :roll:

·
Registered
207 Posts
CarbonCrew said:
T.H's TJ said:
CarbonCrew said:
Wrong. Biofuels effects far more than the "15cents of corn that is in your frosted flakes". There are far more commodities to consider, such as wheat, rice, soybean, meats, milk, etc. It is a snow ball effect. But thanks for playing. :roll:
And $140 crude oil doesn't have a snowball effect? Oil goes up it cost more to manufacture and ship EVERYTHING, including, corn, wheat, rice, soybeans, meat milk etc. :roll:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Never did I say that oil prices does not have an effect on the price of goods. Oil poses a one dimensional problem. Corn based bio fuels pose a multidimensional set of issues and are directly related to the 100% inflation increases of soy, wheat, and rice. Little of the inflation increase has anything to do with the cost of transporting from point A to B. Oil could drop to $50 but as long as we have federal methanol mandates $4 corn is here to stay.

Keep trying though, you'll understand soon. Let me know when you do. I won't be holding my breath. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
207 Posts
CarbonCrew said:
Never did I say that oil prices does not have an effect on the price of goods. Oil poses a one dimensional problem. Corn based bio fuels pose a multidimensional set of issues and are directly related to the 100% inflation increases of soy, wheat, and rice. Little of the inflation increase has anything to do with the cost of transporting from point A to B. Oil could drop to $50 but as long as we have federal methanol mandates $4 corn is here to stay.

Keep trying though, you'll understand soon. Let me know when you do. I won't be holding my breath. :roll: :roll:
No you have no idea, You can't grow an acre of corn now for less then $4.. If corn goes back to where it was, it simply WON'T be planted, It simply would not be profitable any more.

Corn based bio fuels pose a multidimensional set of issues and are directly related to the 100% inflation increases of soy, wheat, and rice.
I'd like to see information where bio fuels are cause of the %100 inflation increase.

Oil poses a one dimensional problem
LOL..Just about everything uses oil in the manufacturing to the shipping, How is is oil a one demensional problem?

Little of the inflation increase has anything to do with the cost of transporting from point A to B.
You really need to get a clue of you think that.

Keep trying though, you'll understand soon. Let me know when you do.
LOL!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The stations here that are 10% ethanol have the same prices as 0% ethanol and I get 10% less mpg. I think if I get less mileage, I should pay less. I don't put 10% in my vehicle since I pay the same price either way.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts