Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience problems with the brake sensor - I don't know if that is what's causing my rav move out of park or any other gear without holding down on the brake pad really hard then letting it come all the way up - sometimes I have to do it several times. Any suggestions? :?:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just went through the same thing. In my case it was the adjustment of the brake light switch, but it could easily be a switch failure or a failure of the lockout device itself as well.

It's a fairly easy fix if the problem is in the brake switch. If you're good in tight spaces you might be able to reach up behind the dash to either adjust or replace the brake light switch, but more than likely you're going to want to remove the lower dash panel (where the hood latch is located) and the metal panel behind it for easier access.

There's a lock nut holding the switch in place. All I did was back the switch off a little. It's now set so that as soon as the brake pedal is depressed more than 0.25" the brake lights go on.

Hope this helps.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put a post up because mine is doing the same thing. Did the adjustment you discussed work?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mike,

Yep, it cured the problem with no out-of-pocket cost. As long as the problem isn't a faulty switch or other component, the adjustment should take care of it for you.

It's fairly easy and shouldn't take you long to do. As I said in my earlier post, there's a lower dash panel extension that you'll want to remove (couple of screws) and there should be a metal shield behind it that will also come out (another couple of screws).

Once that's done you can get to the brake light/trans interlock switch. Just look for the switch that's touching the brake pedal assembly. It's held in place with nuts on either side of the mounting bracket. Loosen the nuts and rotate the body of the switch to adjust it. You'll probably want to detach the plug from it to make it easier to turn.

Any other questions, just let me know.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts