Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not sure, but I know the TRD clutch kit will fit the 2004+ Ravs.

The problem you tend to run in to with headers is that they may fit because it's the same engine, however the exact placement and setup of the engine in the vehicle may be different.

·
Registered
875 Posts
all i know is when i hopped into the dealership and I talked to one of the mechanics there, he gave me a weird look when i said headers. Does our car even have headers? i'm sure all cars do, but somehow ours is a quite different than the ones we're typically used to seeing.

beware of me. this is all coming from a guy who knows practically nothign about engines.

N

·
0 Posts
zoomie said:
all i know is when i hopped into the dealership and I talked to one of the mechanics there, he gave me a weird look when i said headers. Does our car even have headers? i'm sure all cars do, but somehow ours is a quite different than the ones we're typically used to seeing.

beware of me. this is all coming from a guy who knows practically nothign about engines.
This could be because you said headerS, not header. There is only 1 header on most 4 cyl. engines. Once you get into 6 cyl and on, engines tend to have 2 headers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
further to the last reply, a "header" is simply a more complex version of the stock exhaust manifold. Rather than collecting the exhaust from each of the cylinders right at the head of the engine like a manifold does, in a header, each exhaust port has it's own pipe that carries the exhaust further away from the engine where the eventually all come together in a larger exhaust pipe. You'll sometimes see the term 4-1, or 2-2-1, which means the number of individual pipes that come together and whether the come together all at the same point (4-1) or come together in pairs, then into 1 (2-2-1).

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
May I suggest that you get a picture of both engine bay. Look, compare measure and re-measure. We had the same problem regarding the RAV4.1 3SFE engine and the Celica 86-89 header. The only difference was that the O2 sensor had to be relocated about an inch forward. We were looking at that scenario for about two years and no one came forward with the solution. Checho and I took the chance, and man. It paid off with good low end torque, and a cool sound and much needed power. Then we just did the 2.25 pipes and muffler.

By all means, check it out. You will love the results, believe me guys.

Here we just relocated the O2 sensor. and it fitted like a glove.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
682 Posts
the header for the scion should fit the rav as the pipe openings and bolt pattern should be the same. only thing you might have to do is relocate the oxygen sensor as mensa said and replace the stock cat with a high flow one. also don't forget to get bigger exhaust piping, resonator and sports muffler.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if ever the tc header will fit i would most probably go the same way Mensajero did...... :p

i have been following through his posts ever since he was still planning to intstall his header and it was a great success afterwards...... :lol:

one more thing, since they will be making a supercharger for the scion tc....i hope it will fit the rav4.2 also.... :roll: ....

i have no clue about upgrades in performance in engines but .... installing a header and the supercharger together is it OK or only one should be installed...????? :oops:...SORRY , i feel like a moron right now for asking.... :?:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
pyxy_567 said:
i have no clue about upgrades in performance in engines but .... installing a header and the supercharger together is it OK or only one should be installed...????? :oops:...SORRY , i feel like a moron right now for asking.... :?:
Well as an experienced old school hot rodder I would believe that they would function well togther (assuming everything fit). Exhaust mods are important to do in combo with engine mods to achieve maximum benefit. A critical determinant to optimizing the combo would be tweeking the RAV4 ECM to reflect the mods. As a newbe to RAVs I have no idea if dyno tuners have mastered reprograming of the RAV4's ECM.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Haven't heard of any dyno tuners modifying the Rav4 ECM yet. Only thing available for the Rav4 that's in the same neighborhood is the Jet ECU chip which basically replaces your factory chip with a chip with a more aggressive air/fuel ratio. And then there's the Power Enterprises Camcon II controller which allows a dyno tuner to modify the valve timing and air/fuel ratios every 500 rpm. Gadget is made specifically for VVTi and VTEC applications.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
based on what Slayer and Rav4don said if we are to put in the header coupled with a performance exhaust system and a supercharger......we need and is it a must to change or at least reprogram the ECU or ECM whatever you call it ??? :roll:

are there any other stuff to change/modify/add other than mentioned above??? :?:

·
Registered
682 Posts
i think most trd supercharger kits come with a piggy back computer. the trd supercharger for the landcruiser did.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Check the album

I dropped by Toyota and grabbed a printout of the manifold and exhaust parts. Check the album to see the uploaded pics. It shows each part in detail. I can do leg work, but maybe someone with a bit more knowledge about this kind of stuff will have a better idea if indeed the scion tc headers will fit.

Engines are not the same. We have a 1AZFE engine while the Scion TC has a 2AZFE.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am not sure but i have read somewhere in one of the posts that the 2004 RAV has the 2AZFE ENGINE.

correct me if i am wrong.... :roll:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm looking into the compatability of the headers, but i'm curious why you guys would think it would fit the early 4.2 rav4's. I'm i researching for nothing or is there really a chance that it fits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts