Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. So anytime I go above 40 mph there is a very loud annoying howling sound coming from my moonroof area..

Anyone else have this?

I know in other threads they were talking about issues with having windows down, etc.. But this is when all my windows are shut and the moonroof is closed..

If I crack the moonroof ofcourse I get normal wind noise but the annoying howling noise goes away..

This is driving me CRAZY....!!

Any thoughts..?...

Wondering if this is normal, if it is I guess I will have to buy a moonroof wind deflector and see if that helps.. But I have not seen any of you complain about this specific noise.. Unless I am misunderstanding the other posts.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's driving me crazy.. heh.. Gonna have to bring it into dealer and see what they say..

Position of roof rails.. I dunno.. I didn't move em..

:(

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fly will try that in the mornin.. :) Thank you..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright.. Let's see here.. I got up on my truck today and checked the roof rail placement.. I moved the front one back quite a bit and yet still no luck.. Howling is still there..

BUT!. I did notice something curious.. Can you all check your roof rails and let me know if this is normal.....

The front one says FRONT on it.. Which is all fine and dandy, but then it has an arrow pointing to the REAR.. heh..

I am wondering if this could be the problem.. They on backwords!??!

Thanks for all yer help.. :)

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Inocense said:
I am wondering if this could be the problem.. They on backwords!??!
Good catch... you've found the problem! :lol: The arrows should point to the front. FWIW... the cross bars are installed at the dealerships. The end caps must be removed to turn the bars around. Some have reported the end caps are a PAIN to remove... plus sometimes the fastening tabs break off. If not too much trouble for you... I suggest you take it back to the dealer and have them make it RIGHT :roll:

Though the following TSB is dated for 2004 model... the same info applies to your 2006 model :arrow: http://rav4world.com/tsb/PD001-04.pdf

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:doh: IDIOTS!.. heh..

Ok!.. Thank you all.. Will bring it in today and hopefully they can flip em quickly.. (yeah riiigghhhhttt.. nothing is quick at a dealership)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:thumbs_up: Alright.. So I went to the dealer, told them what the problem was and they flipped my roof rack center rails.. THAT was the problem alright!.. WOW is the cabin quiet now!.. :lol:

I am not having good experiences with Toyota service though.. :(
From all that I hear about how they are supposed to be one of the best in the industry, I sure see a lack in customer service on my end..

They told me 30 mins.. It was an hour.. They finally get the truck back to me and there is roof rail grease ALLLL over the roof, grease arm prints ALLLL over my windows and a big grease smudge on my armrest!.. :evil:

So I went back in and asked them if they could wash the Rav.. He said yes, they washed it and I was on my merry way.......

·
Registered
218 Posts
Although I agree that they shouldn't of messed up the car, how is that bad service? They rectified the situation, they could of told you to go away! :lol:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No car dealership would have told me to go away and a good one would have NEVER let the vehicle leave the garage looking like THAT..

That is why it is bad service... IMHO..

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Be careful when you have a dealership wash your car - they are notorious for having their detail jockeys leave swirls and scratches in the finish :egad:

OC

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OC.. yeah I was affraid of that.. And sure enough they did leave a small scratch that I found yesterday after getting home.. Easily buffed out but still..

One of the reasons I made such a big deal about it instead of going home to wash it myself is that it was currently thunderstorming and it was sunny.. Go figure!.. (CHICAGO weather.. heh..)

I didn't want to leave the grease on my paint and I couldn't go home to wash it or do anything with it because I don't have a garage.. :(

Anyway.. That is that.. Point is.. I am very dissapointed they let the vehicle leave the dealership in that condition.. ATLEAST wipe the grease from the roof and wipe down the windows and roofrack where you smeared grease all over!!!... Not to even mention the INSIDE of the Rav!!!!.. :x

I don't think that is asking too much..

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I agree, I would have given the service manager hell about it, too, but then again that's why we refer to them as "Grease Monkeys" :lol: :lol:

OC

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah.. After I/We figured out the problem.. :roll:

:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts