Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Rav and when I get up to around 60 the wind noise is super loud. Doesn't seem to be coming from a specific spot just an overall loud noise. Any advice on how to possibly make it quieter? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
First of all, RAVs aren't luxury cars so you're going to have a certain amount of tire noise, depending on the make and condition of them. Also some drivetrain noise, depending on the age and condition of those parts. You say "super" loud wind noise, so I'm going to guess you have a problem. Do you have a sunroof? That could be a problem. Are all 4 windows closing properly? Doors seem to be closing tightly? Has the windshield been replaced lately?
It just seems like the source of a "super" loud wind noise should be able to be determined by someone riding with you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a sunroof. It seems to just be normal because of the size of the car and age and such so I don't think there is anything wrong. I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to make it quieter.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Agree with ravenuer that you may have a problem. Or you may have an extra critical sensitivity to the noise which you describe. My '11 has relatively little wind noise at 60mph or faster, more pronounced at 80mph. The RAV4 is an SUV and at the price point will have somewhat more noise than, for example, a sedan at a similar price point. Trying to make it quieter would depend upon the source of "super loud" noise and if there is no apparent problem which causes the wind noise that would be expensive and would yield minimal results. Are you certain that the noise is wind noise, and not for example, from the tires?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,617 Posts
I do have a sunroof. It seems to just be normal because of the size of the car and age and such so I don't think there is anything wrong. I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to make it quieter.
You can get a sunroof wind deflector. Also side window visors. I have the Weathertech visors and they are very good. Click the link in my signature.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I swear I think ours has gotten "louder" after the windshield was replaced. Safelite did the install, they came to us because of our busy schedule. Or it could've been my imagination.
Now the tranny whirl noise is very annoying. Whirl, humming, droning around 30-40mph.. I don't think there is a tsb for it. Well, atleast the dealership didn't tell me there were. I was told 5 tsb was out for our 2010 rav4.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts