Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid.
I am looking into getting window deflectors and a sunroof deflector.

I read what I could find in the forums on the deflectors, but I would like a bit more info.

I am leaning towards in channel (probably WeatherTechs).

I had stick-on generics on my 2001 Elantra and they were great, but I am not as wiling to stick stuff on my RAV.

Can you all give some pros and cons for each type (in-channel/stick on) based on your experiences?

Also, for the sunroof, it has to be a stick on, right?

Found this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KL6A44/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_U4vKvb2FN8181?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

What is a "magiclip"?

Lastly, how are the deflectors with the car wash?

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I've had Weathertech window deflectors on every vehicle I've owned since 1988 including my Hybrid and the two Rav4s before it, never had a problem with them in automatic car washes or otherwise. Never been a fan of moon or sun roofs myself, so haven't used a deflector there. Do have an EGR Superguard hood deflector tho, pics in my garage.

·
Registered
386 Posts
In channel deflectors have the tendency to make your windows not seal properly. So you will get much more road and wind noise. And you'll deform the rubber channel over time.

but I am not as wiling to stick stuff on my RAV.
Why? Double side will come off clean years from now. In fact where the tape was would be the cleanest area on the vehicle.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts
I've had the Weathertech in-channel window visors on my RAV for over 7 years now. I couldn't be more satisfied with them. They fit perfectly, are low profile, and look good. They did not affect the seal of the windows, nor did they cause any extra wind or road noise. My daughter's Honda came with the OEM Honda visors, which are stick-on. Almost all of them are cracked and broken. They stick out too far in my opinion. I highly recommend the Weathertech visors:

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Me too, had em on my 2006 V6 Rav4 for over 8yrs, never noticed any more wind noise with them than without, if you put em on a nice quiet luxury vehicle, you might notice a difference, but I never did on all the non-luxury SUVs I've owned.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No sunroof wind deflector, so cannot comment on those. Do have Weathertech all around on the windows. I like them because when parked all day, I can 'crack the windows' in the heat and the casual observer cannot tell the windows are down almost an inch. I did noticed the first time that the wind noise is increased. Not terribly loud, but enough to notice, however not enough to make me want to remove them.

I have noticed a handful of time, in the rain, that the auto-up feature does not operate properly. When going through the guard shack at work, I always like to lower the window completely to give a word with the guard. Activating the auto-up, on those few occasions, the window will go up, hit the top and go right back down. The simple fix is to just hold the up button until the window is re-seated in the channel. Seems to only happen when I've left the window slightly down all day and it's colder than usual.

Despite the increased noise and the very infrequent auto-up hassle, I will not be removing them. On balance, they are worth having. Oh, no issues on going through the Costco car wash. Just need to do a quick wipe-down afterward, which I do anyway.

Reactions: pinniped7

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
What is a "magiclip"?
It is a clip (two) that hooks under the edge of the sun roof and tightens down with a screwdriver. Perfectly secure. Easy installation.

...however, I'm not sure the sun roof deflector is available for the 2016 Hybrid.

The clip looks like this.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is weather tech's in-channel front visor the only one that cover to window sill?
I had stick-on where it covers the top only before. When I crack driver's window a bit in rain I find rain blows in.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Is weather tech's in-channel front visor the only one that cover to window sill?
I had stick-on where it covers the top only before. When I crack driver's window a bit in rain I find rain blows in.
They cover the entire top and leading edges of the front window opening down to slightly below the sill, pic in my garage.

·
Registered
450 Posts
They cover the entire top and leading edges of the front window opening down to slightly below the sill, pic in my garage.
Quickdtoo, Thanks for confirming. Your picture and others all show the part I'm looking for hidden by side mirror.
Are there other makes styled the same?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Only Weathertech have the style I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Yeah, it looks like they're all shorter than WT if the pics are true to the applicable model.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Bought and installed "Weathertech" window deflectors today. Paid full retail price plus taxes from their local retail outlet. Installing was quite easy and look good.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Bought and installed "Weathertech" window deflectors today. Paid full retail price plus taxes from their local retail outlet. Installing was quite easy and look good.
Love to see some photos. Considering these myself. Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
First time using my smart phone to post. Not sure how it'll turn out.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Love to see some photos. Considering these myself. Thanks
My earlier post only show the style diff. that I don't mind paying extra for.
Outside overall will be same as posted by @JuneBug's.
I find it looks much better than stuck-on's. More compact.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I installed all four of Weathertech's side window deflectors and had enormous noise from turbulence. I removed the two passenger deflectors and all was good again. Maybe I messed up somehow. Feedback from others here is welcome.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts