Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just notice that when my driver's window is open about 2 inches, there is a slight rattle or ticking noise coming from it. If the window is roll down, say half way or all the way, the noise goes away. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they have this problem in the 4.2, I notice alot of cars have this problem. My old MDX did the same thing but worst.

B

·
0 Posts
:cry: I have just opened my drivers window slightly today & noticed a window rattle.
It seems to rattle when the window is opened about 1/2 inch up to about 2 inches, however is most noticable when slightly opened.

Standing outside the Rav, when you close the drivers side door with the window slightly opened you can clearly see & hear the window rattling.

I will call the dealer tomorrow.

Any ideas??

V

·
0 Posts
Does this happen when the car is idling? or moving?

If it is occuring when the car is on, but in park, I would be concerned about this unless you are revving hte engine. :shock:

B

·
0 Posts
I left my Rav at the dealer & the only thing done was they lubed the windows.

We test drove the Rav tonight & the drivers window still rattles.
The mechanic says it is normal & would only be concerned if it rattled with the windows closed. :cry:

He indicated it is normal & cannot be fixed unless the engineers were to change the design. I asked if he could foam from inside the panel but he said no as it would interfere with the operation of the power window.

We test drove a 4 cylinder limited & I did notice a similar rattle on that, however less.

Has anyone else noticed that the drivers window rattles from a slight opening until about just under 1/2 way open??

At this point, It looks like I will have to live with this window rattle.

B

·
0 Posts
I called the dealer that I bought my vehilce from. This is a much smaller dealer than where I have been bringing it into.

I spoke to the shop foreman & will bring it after work on Thursday. We will go for a test drive.
He indicated on the phone that he would like to take the door panel off to see what is going on.

I don't know why the other dealer did not do this. They only lubed it where the window goes up & down without removing the door panel.

B

·
0 Posts
I would appreciate it next time you are out if you could put the drivers window down about 1/4 inch-1/2 inch & notice any rattle from the window when going over bumps.

The I4 Limited we drove yesterday had a lesser rattle than my sport v6, but still had a rattle when left open 1/4 inch.

B

·
0 Posts
vroom2grow said:
Does this happen when the car is idling? or moving?

If it is occuring when the car is on, but in park, I would be concerned about this unless you are revving hte engine. :shock:
while driving

S

·
0 Posts
it happens with every single toyota i had pleasure of driving... basically at some point window is not fully secured all around and has a bit of play.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems like this problem is temparture related. As the weather starts to warm up here in New England, the rattle went away.

B

·
0 Posts
The weather in Toronto has been above 0 recently, however I noticed the window rattle initially when the weather was a little above 10 degrees.

I don't think it is weather related.

I am bringing my vehicle back to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow to check the window rattle.

This is what I am going to tell them & show them on the test drive:

While driving, rattle from driver side window when put down
¼ inch to about just less than ½ way open.

They indicated they will take the window panel off to investigate.

B

·
0 Posts
Today I test drove a v6 limited & did notice a slight window rattle while down about 1/2 inch. My conclusion is this seems to be a normal characteristic of the current years Rav. I was able to hear this rattle on a I4 limited, v6 limited and my v6 sport.

The dealer took the bottom panel of the drivers side door off & everything was tight. He indicated that there is supposed to be some play in the window.

He put some type of shim material on on 2 sides close to the mirror.

I noticed that there was an improvement, however could still hear a rattle depending on the road.

I think this will be something I have to live with.

Hopefully Toyota will come up with a modification to eliminate this window rattle when the window is opened slightly.

I am glad that this dealer at least tried to do something & was slightly successful in eliminating some of the rattle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it is the use of thinner glass for cost savings by toyota that created this problem, when window is opened an inch, try to push or pull at the top of the glass, see how much flex there is....there's no fix unless u replace the glass or tighten the seals.....however, my guess is that at warmer temperature, the seals around the window will expand and the rattle will go away.......

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
glass don't flex.. At least not enough like you say.. It more in the window channel and frame causing ths. BTW- ours don't rattle one bit...

jtsmak said:
I think it is the use of thinner glass for cost savings by toyota that created this problem, when window is opened an inch, try to push or pull at the top of the glass, see how much flex there is....there's no fix unless u replace the glass or tighten the seals.....however, my guess is that at warmer temperature, the seals around the window will expand and the rattle will go away.......

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hope there is a proper fix....but I don't see one without a re-design.....i hope I am wrong, I will ask the dealer to look at it at first oil change.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts