Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my bottom window seals after 10 years but unfortunately they had degraded terribly, even lost three speakers which is a different subject, but the degraded seals, front passenger even melted a bit, left stripes down both fr & r passenger side windows. I have tried glass cleaner, Dawn dishwashing liquid, and a little bit of alcohol on a test spot. none of these things serve to do anything but smear whatever this residue is. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,786 Posts
I've seen this a little on my 2008. Ronsonol or Zippo lighter fluid will clean it off. Seems the rubber deteriorates and starts turning into goo.

·
Registered
2011 Barcelona Red Rav4 Sport
58 Posts
Inside or outside? Soap/water with a single-edge razor blade should work. But, if you have your windows tinted, don't use it on the inside.

Reactions: jcb123rav4um

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inside or outside? Soap/water with a single-edge razor blade should work. But, if you have your windows tinted, don't use it on the inside.
It's on the outside. The seals degraded to the point that in places they were like tar which is what is on my windows. I have tried soap and water. Another suggestion was lighter fluid. What do you think?

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen this a little on my 2008. Ronsonol or Zippo lighter fluid will clean it off. Seems the rubber deteriorates and starts turning into goo.
Exactly! Like tar. That goo smeared its way up my front passenger side window. Lighter fluid huh? I've been trying to figure out what the substance is that would cut this stuff. I'm not down with the razor blade and soap and water solution since soap and water did absolutely nothing. I have not tried scraping with a razor blade but I'm also not trying to etch my windows. Window seals are cheap, windows are not! Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2011 Barcelona Red Rav4 Sport
58 Posts
Exactly! Like tar. That goo smeared its way up my front passenger side window. Lighter fluid huh? I've been trying to figure out what the substance is that would cut this stuff. I'm not down with the razor blade and soap and water solution since soap and water did absolutely nothing. I have not tried scraping with a razor blade but I'm also not trying to etch my windows. Window seals are cheap, windows are not! Thanks for the tip.
I use razor blades on windows all the time to remove old window film glue without any issues at all. The soap/water is just as a slip solution. I don't like the idea of lighter fluid because I don't know what it would do it it accidentally ran down onto the painted surfaces of the door.

Reactions: jcb123rav4um

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use razor blades on windows all the time to remove old window film glue without any issues at all. The soap/water is just as a slip solution. I don't like the idea of lighter fluid because I don't know what it would do it it accidentally ran down onto the painted surfaces of the door.
All good points. And I certainly don't want lighter fluid on my brand new seals.
I'll let you know what results I get!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,786 Posts
All good points. And I certainly don't want lighter fluid on my brand new seals.
I'll let you know what results I get!
Well, don't spray lighter fluid all over the glass and let it drip down! Just wet a small spot on a paper towel or rag and rub it over the tar. It will take it off.

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, don't spray lighter fluid all over the glass and let it drip down! Just wet a small spot on a paper towel or rag and rub it over the tar. It will take it off.
🤣🤣🤣 Of course not!!🤣🤣🤣
Sorry for making it sound like I was That level of inexperienced. ☺ Will do!

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically the same results as lighter fluid you think or better? I have used goo gone, mostly in retail to remove price tag adhesive etc.

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Certainly. It's citrus based. I would still protect my new seals but I'll likely try it out. Needed a bottle anyways. ✌

1 - 17 of 17 Posts