Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oct 21 Toyota Motor Corp said on Wednesday it would recall 6.5 million vehicles globally to fix a defect in the power window switch in models including the Yaris/Vitz subcompact, Corolla, Camry and others.

Of the total, about 2.7 million are in North America, 1.2 million in Europe, and 600,000 in Japan, the automaker said. It said it was not aware of any crashes caused by the glitch.

Toyota said modules in the power window master switch may have been lubricated inconsistently during the manufacturing process. Debris caused by wear from the electrical contact points can accumulate and cause a short circuit. That in turn could cause the switch assembly to overheat and melt, and potentially lead to a fire, it said.

Among other models subject to the recall are the Matrix, RAV4, Highlander, Tundra, Sequoia and Scion xB. The vehicles were produced between January 2005 and December 2010, Toyota said.

Toyota also issued a separate recall in Japan of about 140,000 Crown and Crown Majesta models for a glitch that could cause the hood to open inadvertently.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+voluntary+recall+oct20.htm
Toyota to recall 6.5 mln cars to fix power window switch | Reuters

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wonder if they are going to squirt some lube in the switch or replace it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I wonder if they are going to squirt some lube in the switch or replace it?
Yep, it's either or. From their recall bulletin:

Q3: What is Toyota going to do?
A3: The remedy will involve an inspection, switch disassembly, and application of a specialized grease. In a limited number of cases, the electronic circuit board in the PWMS will be replaced. The inspection and applicable
repair will be performed at NO CHARGE.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Got my notice in the mail today. Still just preliminary as remedy is not available yet.
I also received their letter that says to wait for another letter. But checking my RAV in Toyota.com/owners, the recall bulletin FAQ last updated 12/16/15, says the remedy is now available for all:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/staticcontent/en/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/cp/c0mtofaq.pdf

The RAV was actually in the group availabe for the fix 11/10. Will see what the dealer shop says next week.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Called the local Toyota dealer service dept. Indeed, the warranty fix for the window switch is available. Scheduled it for after the holidaze.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got mine for my 2010 Corolla today. Gonna see if they can schedule it for between the holidays when I am off.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Although the recalls have been pretty lame on my 09 4-banger: accelerator pedal manicure, floor mat check, brake override upgrade, fuel tank de-lam check, rear suspension thingie replacement glued-- I appreciate that Toyota seems to have my back. None of it actually "needed," as my RAV never has actually broken. But possible fire usually gets a lot of attention.

So I might as well keep the recall streak alive and do the window switch also. Now they better come up with the fix for the windshield wiper--it could fly off and hit somebody in the eye.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
How about some details? What did they tell you? How long did it take?
Thompson Toyota is an upscale dealership. No appointment is needed for repairs, just drop off your vehicle and they give you a rent a car. So I don't know how long it took- I picked the car up the next day. Here is the repair order from Toyota's owners website:

MASTER WINDOW SWITCH ~|~PERFORM SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN C0M INSPECT POWER WINDOW MOTOR SWITCH AND APPLY SPECIALIZED GREASE. OPCODE 2611HA .8 OPCODE 2611HB .7 INSPECT POWER WINDOW MOTOR MASTER SWITCH AND REPLACE INTERNAL ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT BOARD. OPCODE 2611HC .6 OPCODE 2611HD . ~|~

·
16,451 Posts
OK, thanks for that. So, not only did they grease the switch, they replaced the circuit board. And it took less than 15 minutes of labor. Not too bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
quote from toyota

Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a campaign notification by first class mail. TOYOTA retailers /
authorized repairers will inspect the Power Window Master Switch and apply specialized grease. The Electrical
Circuit Board in the Power Window Master Switch may be replaced if the dealership determines it requires
replacement during the inspection

what we do, we take out the switch and inspect it. we are looking for burn marks, sticking of the switches etc. we apply grease to the switches, and recheck.
if we see burns or the switches stick when pulling them, replacement parts are installed :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts