Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side window will not close.

Something in front of the window below the frame (near the mirror) sticks. As a result the whole window tilts forward and stops. I have tried pulling the window's upper rear corner back into the track, it moves back but it does not help. I have also cleaned the front and rear seals with Armor All (it is a temporary lube) with no effect.

I removed the Weathertech window deflector. No help.

At the moment it is raining and I have no garage, but I did my best to tape plastic over the window so it is okay while in the driveway. This is disheartening. We have a lot of rain in the forecast. :(

Should I push a straight plastic panel pry into the offending area? Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If you have an Extended Vehicle Service Agreement (aka "extended warranty" which is still in effect perhaps the problem is covered. I looked on the relevant Toyota web site under the Platinum VSA section but didn't see a reference to window winding mechanisms. I don't have access to my official Toyota booklet at this time so can't know for certain. Good luck getting the problem sorted out!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have an Extended Vehicle Service Agreement (aka "extended warranty"[...]
Excellent idea, Blogson. Unfortunately, I have no such warranty. :frown
From here on it's gotta be a DIY solution. I cannot afford to make my dealership more money.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 1996 Maxima. Driver's window went down, stopped about halfway down, then wouldn't go up all the way. I found a Youtube video that showed how to remove the door panel, and quickly saw the problem. The rubber channel molding on the front edge of the glass got pulled down by the glass and got bunched up. It was a fairly simple matter of removing the 2 screws holding the glass to the regulator, and moving it back out of the way. Then I pulled out the rubber channel, and applied some soapy water to the back. This made it easier to push back into the metal frame. I figured when the soap dried it would help the rubber to stick in the frame. Then I applied some silicone spray lube to the inside of the channel where the glass slides. Worked the glass back into position and screwed it back to the regulator and put the door panel back. Everyone reading this should spray a little silicone into their window channels every now and then as well as lubing the door hinges. These items are not covered under most extended warranties. It worked great and didn't cost me a penny!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My driver's side window will not close.

Something in front of the window below the frame (near the mirror) sticks. As a result the whole window tilts forward and stops. I have tried pulling the window's upper rear corner back into the track, it moves back but it does not help.

This exact same issue happened to me this morning. Window went down fine. When going back up, something in the front, closer to the mirror, was causing the window glass to stick and would not push up. The rear of the glass came forward out of the track. I repositioned that, but now the window is stuck at half open. While driving into work, I did hear a piece of something rattle in the bottom of the door. And, of course, it is raining today. My rain coat is currently covering the space.... :serious

Any idea what caused this, what needs to get fixed? I have a 2012 LE.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are you able to try what Junebug suggested?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you able to try what Junebug suggested?

I am still looking for a YT on how to take the door panel apart. However, there is obvious a piece broken because I heard it fall to the bottom of the door frame, and it is a roller or something at the front / mirror side of the door - have to determine what the piece is and how much it will cost to get repaired and/or how easily it can be done as a DIY project.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here is a decent one:

But to access the window glass it appears there is a bit more you will have to remove. Maybe once you get the door panel off you can see what it looks like and if the problem is obvious. If you can, take some pictures once you find the problem and I'm sure others have seen it or will have some decent suggestions! Quite a few knowledgeable people here, more than I am at least! :)

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This exact same issue happened to me this morning. Window went down fine. When going back up, something in the front, closer to the mirror, was causing the window glass to stick and would not push up. [....]

Any idea what caused this, what needs to get fixed? I have a 2012 LE.
I'm glad this issue resurfaced because I failed to reply. I went to the dealership (Dahl Toyota) after all because the rain went on and on. The mechanic was terrific, had dealt with this issue before and fixed it in no time. There are a couple bolts that hold the window to the track and one fell out, blocking the track somehow.

I hope your experience is as good as mine was.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad to hear that's all it was! Hopefully didn't cost too much at the dealer! And hopefully c2j can get his fixed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad this issue resurfaced because I failed to reply. I went to the dealership (Dahl Toyota) after all because the rain went on and on. The mechanic was terrific, had dealt with this issue before and fixed it in no time. There are a couple bolts that hold the window to the track and one fell out, blocking the track somehow.

I hope your experience is as good as mine was.

I suspect my experience was better - yes, confirmed this is exactly what happened with mine. However, I had the good fortune of being able to get it resolved with the help of a friend, so didn't have to pony up cash to get it fixed. One of the bolts actually came out, window jumped the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts