Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

windshield cracks

9717 Views 31 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  somni4l
Is anyone having any issues with sudden windshield cracks? We bought our RAV new, in the first hour the windshield cracked, about halfway across the windshield and it started from the bottom of the windshield below the wipers . The crack went up about 8 inches. After arguing with the dealer, Toyota replaced the windshield.
Fast forward 14 months, windshield cracks in just about the same spot. Stress fracture? Unable to feel any chip either time.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
How odd, I saw a brand new (still with temporary plates) RAV that had a full crack a few weeks ago.

My RAV has one crack about 3 inches and another chip. =( I am going with non-Toyota glass, if I have to replace mine.

· Registered
146 Posts
My 2021 RAV4 le the windshield got a 1 inch hairline crack in it. I was on the freeway and just heard it crack. I didn’t hear anything hit it before it cracked. I had mine repaired through my insurance with no deductible but they just had it filled in but if it cracks again I’m going to replace it.
I’m not too impressed with the windshield on the new RAV4 it seems thinner than my 2019 Camry.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Mine got the absolute smallest stone at slow speed and it cracked. The interesting part is since the crack started, it has turned about 1/2 of a turn in about 4 inches. Imagine a crack that runs from the top down about 12 inches, then makes a hard right and turns almost all the way back in a tiny distance. I have never seen such a thing.

I need to get it fixed, but I am contemplating should I go with OEM glass (obviosly junk) or aftermarket glass which I have heard can have aberrations?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
My wife was driving my Rav last summer and it suddenly cracked from below the wipers right in front of the passenger seat, in a nice wavy line all the way up to the center of the windshield. I suppose it is on my to-do list.

· Registered
736 Posts
Last year a stone hit the windshield on my 2019 Rav4. Had the star crack filled under insurance but that didn't hold more than a few minutes and had it replaced. If you have heated wiper rest area make sure they know because then order the wrong windshield.

A neighbor near me had an older Rav and complained the windshield was always being replaced.

· Registered
290 Posts
but I am contemplating should I go with OEM glass (obviosly junk) or aftermarket glass which I have heard can have aberrations?
I've been wondering about heavier duty aftermarket glass, but I want to keep the anti-glare shading areas at the top and bottom of the factory windshield. Also, I have the electro-thermal wires at the bottom to keep the wipers from freezing. Would aftermarket glass have these? And, yes, the factory windshield is very weak. I already have several rock chips. No cracks...yet...

· Registered
18 Posts
How odd, I saw a brand new (still with temporary plates) RAV that had a full crack a few weeks ago.

My RAV has one crack about 3 inches and another chip. =( I am going with non-Toyota glass, if I have to replace mine.
WE HAD TEMP TAGS ON OUR 2019 RAV4, A SMALL SOMETHING CAN OFF A TRUCK AND DID'NT LEAVE A MARK ON THE WINDSHIELD, WE WENT TO EAT AND CAME OUT AND IT HAD A CRACK ABOUT A FOOT LONG, INSURANCE TOOK CARE OF IT BUT $850.00 LATER ,SURE SCARES THE HELL OUT OF YOU. THIS IS MY FIRST IMPORT CAR I PURCHASED NOW I WONDER!!

· Registered
519 Posts
When we bought our RAV4 2019 and RAV 4 2020 we paid extra for the windshield replacement insurance from the Toyota Dealer. After reading about all the windshield problems happy did. Had the wife's 2020 SE in body shop for a little problem and was talking to the body shop manager. about the RAV4 and Toyota. He said it was lucky we didn't have a windshield damaged. Besides the cost of the windshield and everybody around here that does any good work seems to use Safelight to replace the windshield. But to recalibrate the forward camera and other electronics that are attached to the windshield it takes approximately minimum of four hours and cost about $1500.00.

· Registered
430 Posts
Is that really wise these days? Windshields aren't just pieces of glass anymore with things like embedded electrothermal heating areas to prevent the wipers freezing and sticking, etc.
Should be fine, our OEM galss at least for my RAV is made by AGC anyways and there are minimum standards to be met. Safelite probably get's the replacement from AGC since they will have the design already (not sure).

Well, need to replace mine now as it cracked a few feet now.
My Toyota dealer quoted $1,400 total.

Safelite is currently quoting:
Parts and labor $554.99
Recalibration $395.00
So basically $950.00

OEM glass for extra $600.00 <- (it was only $400 extra, back in June).
There are $20-$60 promo codes floating around on the web, if you are paying via cash (not thru insurance).

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Is that really wise these days? Windshields aren't just pieces of glass anymore with things like embedded electrothermal heating areas to prevent the wipers freezing and sticking, etc.
My OEM AGC glass is junk. It turned into a literal spider web - multiple cracks going multiple directions like a matrix from one tiny stone - far away from the crazy pattern. Never seen anything like it. I can't imagine aftermarket can be much worse?

Safelite makes a bunch of their own glass in a huge plant in North Carolina I believe. The largest auto glass plant on earth is Fuyao glass in Ohio - which is a Chinese company. My guess is most aftermarket glass will be one of those two, especially on something high volume like a Rav4 - they would have geared up to make that one for sure.

Safelite pretty much owns the aftermarket. I asked my Toyota dealer and they don't even do it - or quote it - anymore - they just send you to safelite.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
My dealership offers glass repair, then takes it over the road to local speedy glass around corner, I have driven by
& seen a couple of Toyota's line up outside. I am sure the there is a mark up for this service.
Maybe. Or they give the dealer a discount to get there business and it ends up being about the same. You won't know unless you get a price from both. Depends on how much competition there is and how much they want the dealers business.

· Premium Member
2020 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package 🇨🇦
284 Posts
After hearing about all the windshield cracking issues on here, I added windshield replacement coverage to my insurance for <$5 a month. Peace of mind.

· Registered
2017 Prius Prime 2021 R4P SE
56 Posts
Just had mine crack this week. Made a turn near my house where a flat road transitions to a steep hill incline and it must have torqued the chassis and suddenly POP. There was a crack that started below the wiper and up the windshield about 6 inches. Nothing could have hit the windshield where the crack started since it is completely behind the wiper arm. I am a little concered that the (new stiffer) chassis is possibly flexing to the point that it is popping my windshield. I am at the dealership tomorrow for an inspection and will see what they say.

· Registered
RAV4 Hybrid XSE
120 Posts
My OEM glass is full of distortion so going OEM is no guarantee you'll avoid that.
It’s hit or miss, I had the glass replaced on my Subaru Impreza with non-OEM glass (at Safelite) when compared to OEM glass it is clearly thinner. I can definitely tell that there is an increase in wind noise. Also there is a slight aberration when looking to the right.

· Registered
595 Posts
It’s hit or miss, I had the glass replaced on my Subaru Impreza with non-OEM glass (at Safelite) when compared to OEM glass it is clearly thinner. I can definitely tell that there is an increase in wind noise. Also there is a slight aberration when looking to the right.
The increase in wind noise is most likely due to poor urethane application. On my prior car I had my windshield replaced by Safelite and the wind noise was so bad I had the windshield replaced at a smaller shop a year later. When they took off the Safelite windshield they showed me how poorly Safelite applied the urethane bead which was the source of the wind noise.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts