Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new RAV4 for less than 6 months and already the windshield has cracked twice. I have a feeling these windshields are just made cheap or faulty. I had several cars in my life and never had to replace one due to a chip from something hitting it. Perhaps I’m just unlucky or these windshields are made like ?. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

·
Registered
838 Posts
My windsheild chipped while driving on the highway during the first three months. Safelite said the chip did not need to be repaired because the damage did not go all the way through the glass. I guess I'm lucky. My previous RAV4 which I drove for 12 years never had a chip despite lots of miles on gravel roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like the new windshields are just not made like they used to be ?!! I called Safelight and they turned the tiny little mark which looked like a little scratch into a huge spiderweb, now I have to replace the whole thing yet again.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I did ask the Safelite guy if newer windshields were more prone to damage. He said no it was just my bad luck. Who knows?

·
Registered
255 Posts
My first windshield cracked all the way through just going over a seam in the highway bridge the first week I owned the car. I've had 2 more windshields and am going to need another pretty soon. They must be soft glass or something. Idk. I'm tempted to not use OEM glass this time and see if its any stronger?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had bad luck with two new cars. I needed my windshield replaced on both my ‘13 CX-5 and ‘14 Corolla within the first 90 days of ownership. Haven't had a problem again in the last 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I
My first windshield cracked all the way through just going over a seam in the highway bridge the first week I owned the car. I've had 2 more windshields and am going to need another pretty soon. They must be soft glass or something. Idk. I'm tempted to not use OEM glass this time and see if its any stronger?
I had bad luck with two new cars. I needed my windshield replaced on both my ‘13 CX-5 and ‘14 Corolla within the first 90 days of ownership. Haven't had a problem again in the last 5 or 6 years.

I want to do some research and perhaps get an after market and not the Toyota windshield and see if they makes any difference. I’m so over this issue

·
Registered
248 Posts
My replacements were OEM if that helps. I honestly think your driving conditions/environment play a bigger role than the glass manufacturer.

I’ve had my RAV4 since October and the front of it is spotless. No rock chips in the paint yet. Less traffic on these slightly cleaner north Alabama roads. Don’t need to tailgate people and speeds are generally 55 mph or less My other cars after only 6 months of ownership were chipped up pretty good from FL toll roads at 70+mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts