Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rav4 unfortunately had to have the windshield replaced around 2-3k miles due to a rock cracking my windshield. Now at around 6k the windshield replacement is showing quite a bit of pitting(tiny dots) when you really look for them in normal light but in direct sunlight, or headlights from oncoming vehicle hit the windshield you can really see them. It is a bit distracting and I understand most windshields get this over time but it seems like a bit early for only having 3k miles on the replacement. Guardian is the brand, not sure if that has to do with it.

Any suggestions? I know the fix is probably replacement but curious if brand could have to do with it

·
Registered
246 Posts
Rain-X, use a lot so their is a good liquid layer going on while buffing it in. Let sit for 10 mins. Buff clean. Spend time getting it all off, to many people don't spend time get it all off and have hazing and weird light issues at night. If you do have any thing like that it goes away in a week or two anyways. Come back and let me know if it helped, it did on one of my cars by 80%. Clean window first. Window must be fully dry before applying.

https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-repellents-cleaners/rainx-original-glass-treatment/

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
If there is actual pitting in that short number of miles the windshield glass must be quite soft and the replacement which was used was defective, unless it was pelted with road gravel or some other hard objects. Perhaps you can work with your insurance company to have the windshield replaced with OEM glass, since the pits can be a visual hazard and the situation obviously will become worse. My OEM windshield ('11) shows no pitting so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts