Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '96 with a small star-shaped crack in the middle windshield; no big deal...Later, in winter conditions though, the crack spread to the full width of the dash & I'm now looking at replacement..

Two questions:

1. Do 4.1 Rav4's have a greater susceptibility to windshields cracking/breaking?

2. Is using any reputable auto glass shop okay for the replacement?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wouldn't think that the RAV would have a higher susceptibility to having the windshield crack. But I have always used a good glass shop for any replacement I've had in other vehicles with no problems at all. I would think the dealership would just charged you 10 times more just for stamping Toyota on the glass. :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
dnylrq said:
I wouldn't think that the RAV would have a higher susceptibility to having the windshield crack. But I have always used a good glass shop for any replacement I've had in other vehicles with no problems at all. I would think the dealership would just charged you 10 times more just for stamping Toyota on the glass. :roll:
the rav4 does have a higher susceptibility to having the windshield crack then some cars as the susceptibility is determined by the angle of the glass however but defintly not compared to most suv vans and compact cars and when replacing the glass I higly sugest dealing with a quality shop who will fight your insurance company to put in quality glass as there is a huge quality difrence between cheep and good glass even if there both made to fit

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had to replace three windshields over the last 6.5 years, been averaging one every 2 years. I typically let them get 4-5 rock hits before replacement. If you carry full coverage insurance on your car I would definately recommend that you add on glass replacement coverage, its like $5 every 6 months for me, its been worth it, the glass company always gives me a $50 kickback on every replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow do you live near a golf course ? oh one thing i did not mention if you got a car with a very low angle window you will get more damage from hail so it a mixed bag

1 - 5 of 5 Posts