Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising down I-95 and wack .. a stone the size of a quarter bounced off of my windshield. When I got home I took a close look and 2 small chunks of glass have been removed from the windshield. I guess a auto glass repair company can come to the house and fix it. Even though the repairs these guys do are almost invisable, I'll always know it's there.

I guess I should be glad the rock hit the windshield and not the hood.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G-Man - thanks for the link. I doubt that my insurance company is going to spring for a replacement. It's a small ding and I've had these things repaired before by a mobile auto glass company. They come to you so it isn't much of a hassle. I watched the guy repair the glass on my WRX. They drimmel out the area and then apply some type of resin as a patch. When they're done you can hardly tell it's been repaired. Hardly ........ :roll:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contacted Safelite and they made all the arrangemnts with the insurance co. ... I didn't have to do a thing. They came to the house and did the repair in the driveway. All I gave them was a thank you. Bada bing bada boom.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
thecat said:
Contacted Safelite and they made all the arrangemnts with the insurance co. ... I didn't have to do a thing. They came to the house and did the repair in the driveway. All I gave them was a thank you. Bada bing bada boom.
I assume that they just repaired the chip in the existing windshield not replace the windshield.

If they replaced the windshield I have a lot of people at Mothership Toyota running around for nothing trying to get my replacement windshield here by the 20th of June :mrgreen:

After surveying the area the conclusion was that no local Glass service had access to a windshield for a 06 RAV and that it had to come from Japan

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There is another report on Edmonds today of a cracked windshield but only 160 miles and no stone chip! Not a good situation.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well yesterday my wife got the dreaded windshield chip while driving on the freeway. I already know my insurance company doesn't cover it, having had replaced one in a previous vehicle. About how much does one of these repairs cost? I've seen kits in the parts store for doing my own repair. Is it really any different from what a professional uses?

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
I've paid $25-$40 for professional rock chip repairs in the past, they do a pretty good job if done soon after the chip happens, but if the radiating cracks are very long, they don't fix em too well. If the defect can be covered with a quarter, all that can be seen after the repair is a small spot that looks like a tiny bug smack, 1/8" or smaller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got mine repaired by Safelite and they charged me $65 but my insurance will cover it. It was just a small rock chip, size of a dime.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Friend of mine recently had a rock hit the windshield, which the next day developed into a spreading crack. He took it to the Toyota dealer, they said the cost to replace the windshield would be $1289!! Needless to say, he declined, and found a place what would do it in his driveway for about $300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The cost is over a thousand if you bring it to the dealer because the oem windshield itself from Toyota cost around a thousand dollar according to the shop where i usually bring my car for repairs . I already replaced my windshield after a month of driving and now got a rock chip with the new one....sigh

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
jde33 said:
The cost is over a thousand if you bring it to the dealer because the oem windshield itself from Toyota cost around a thousand dollar according to the shop where i usually bring my car for repairs . I already replaced my windshield after a month of driving and now got a rock chip with the new one....sigh
Your new windshield, is it a Toyota one or a after market one? Just wondering if the aftermarket windshield is better quality as far as rock chip is concerned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gman..the replacement windshield was from Toyota, since around March the after market ones were not yet available......now i feel that the after market ones might be better.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
jde33 said:
Gman..the replacement windshield was from Toyota, since around March the after market ones were not yet available......now i feel that the after market ones might be better.
Mine just showed up from Japan. The dealer tried three local glass places they do business with. Nada on the after market windshields in the Seattle area. Will have the one shipped from Japan installed friday.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Lucky you

Flyinng, when I get my RAV4 later this year I hope I am lucky enough to get a near perfect one like it seems you have. It is a shame to see a very small number of people who have annoying problems when most of the trucks seem near perfect.

Let me see now it has to be a V6 Sport, red or flint mica....ummm...decisions... :roll:

Oh yes, say again...269 HP... :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts