Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was recently driving on the freeway and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. The breakage is about 4 inches in diameter and I'm scheduled to have a Safelite epoxy type repair reck come and patch it up for me....was wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with potential issues dealing with the lane trace assist and whatever other sensors that work on and around the windshield? Would it be best to pony up the money for a full replacement and calibration of said sensors...the local shop is quoted me for $630 out the door.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE
487 Posts
Same happened to me. Pressurized epoxy repair, no calibration necessary because nothing has moved. There have been posts for full windshield replacements with no calibration and everything worked as normal. Do the least possible. If something doesn't work you call always do the calibration at a later date.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite at the suggestion of my insurance. Don't ever ever ever go to safelite. After three days of calling BEFORE my appointment to make sure I have the coverage ( because Safelite told me at the time of booking the appointment my policy doesn't cover the windshield) I was told yes I have coverage.
needless to say, Safelite refused to honor the policy, even after the insurance company was ON THE PHONE WITH THEM. So I'm out 1300.00.
But that's not why I'm here.
Insurance also required recalibration of the sensors. So, that was done ( 400.00 ) and off I go with my new glass. 10 minutes into the drive my display reads " Pre-collision system malfunction...visit dealer" I call the dealer as I will NOT step foot in Safelite ever again ) and they don't have an appointment for two weeks. I am leaving on vacation on the 30th, and by the time I come back, I will be over the 24K warranty period.
The part that I need help with is how do I get rid of the warning? It pops up over and over, keeping me from seeing critical info on the display.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,720 Posts
Incompetent glass companies sometimes damage the camera on the windshield and cause the PCS warning on MID screen. Here is a dealer tech using Techstream to diagnose the issue and showing the windshield camera damage.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,720 Posts
Understood. But is there any way to keep the message from popping up until I can get it re-looked at?
No there is not. If the camera is busted like in the video or if Safelite totally screwed up the calibration procedure (likely) then there is a DTC set and you can't erase the DTC until the malfunction is corrected so you will keep getting the warning on the MID.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you watch the Safelite TV commercials, even though they talk about calibrating the safety systems, if you pause the video and read the fine print at the bottom of the screen, you will see a disclaimer that says that calibration of safety systems on all cars may not be possible.

My choice would be to have the work done through a dealer or whoever they sub-contract windshield replacements through and to make sure that they are using OEM glass. That way, they will be responsible for using the right glass and for making sure that the safety systems are properly calibrated. Either way, if you have comprehensive insurance, you should only be responsible for the deductible.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Was recently driving on the freeway and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. The breakage is about 4 inches in diameter and I'm scheduled to have a Safelite epoxy type repair reck come and patch it up for me....was wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with potential issues dealing with the lane trace assist and whatever other sensors that work on and around the windshield? Would it be best to pony up the money for a full replacement and calibration of said sensors...the local shop is quoted me for $630 out the door.
I am surprised they would repair damage that large. Rule of thumb over here is that any damage larger than a dime requires replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you watch the Safelite TV commercials, even though they talk about calibrating the safety systems, if you pause the video and read the fine print at the bottom of the screen, you will see a disclaimer that says that calibration of safety systems on all cars may not be possible.

My choice would be to have the work done through a dealer or whoever they sub-contract windshield replacements through and to make sure that they are using OEM glass. That way, they will be responsible for using the right glass and for making sure that the safety systems are properly calibrated. Either way, if you have comprehensive insurance, you should only be responsible for the deductible.
They did use OEM glass. That I'm okay with. its just that now I have to lose time getting their repair repaired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts