Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently bought this '08 RAV4. I noticed this strip of plastic is coming loose on the passenger side of the windshield. I'm unable to push/snap it back into place, and if I push the plastic housing below it out of the way, I can reach under the dash so it seems like it provides an important function.

Anybody seen this or have advice on repairing/replacing this before it gets cold?

Thanks!

Sorry--subject should say trim piece, not trip piece. Ugh.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
I did a search on this forum but couldn't find a 4.3 on which the owner was reporting that problem, but with other RAV4 versions the remedies vary depending upon circumstances. Some owners say that it the strip needs only to be pressed back into place until it snap locks and that the problem seems to have occurred after windshield replacement, others say that the strip needs to be cemented in place with a clear water-proof adhesive, others say that the strip needs to be replaced, and a couple of owners said that their RAVs had manufacturing defects in the ridge which holds the strip in place so that the ridge was partially absent on their vehicles. Sorry that can't be more helpful.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
I would get some black silicone RTV and glue it back down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine has the same issue. It was dry rotted due to being over in the middle east heat for 3 years. Its letting water get in my car when it rains. Does anyone have a part number for this? I look online and saw something similar called a "dam" but it runs around the bottom and both side of the windshield. So i'm not confident that's the right part number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the conclusion for mine: Went to one of the body shops I frequent (don't ask--teenage driver :surprise:surprise). A glass repair guy was there and tried to fix it--his conclusion was the "factory mounted the glass a bit too high in the frame". He tried to get it back but suggested glueing/caulking it down. Had the vehicle at another body shop shortly thereafter (told you not to ask:crying) and they were able to work it back into place. So far it's held for a couple of months. We'll see how it does in the more severe cold this winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts