Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go looking under my hood tomorrow I was wondering has anyone experienced a loss of pressure with their windshield washer sprayer.

I hadn’t used my washer for about 5 months because we have had little rain in Toronto, plus my car is washed often and I don’t drive much. Now that it’s raining almost everyday I found out I had very little fluid flow (barley reaching the windshield)

I knew the fluid was low so I just put ½ gallon and still no pressure.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a vehicle was In the winter they can get blocked up with ice.

Tomorrow I will top the system off and actually spend the time to look at it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yup... check with the most obvious suspected problems first. Usually gunk gets clogged into the sprayer nozzle holes. A pin is a good way to clear that up. At the same time, you can use the pin to aim the squirter exactly where you want it to hit on the windshield. Just stick the pin a ways into the hole and use it as a lever to aim the squirter. :D

If clearing the holes on the nozzle does not work. Then you might want to check to see if one of the water lines has separated from the nozzle (look underneath the hood). Trace the water lines and while someone activates the windshield washer, look for any possible leaks. There might be a failure in the water line somewhere. :cry:

If all looks good, then your pump in the water bottle may need to be replaced. Also, sometimes there may be some sediments/deposits in the bottom of the water bottle that has clogged the water exit. If that is the case, you may have to remove the water bottle and clean it out good with a water hose sprayer. This once happened in my Miata, and that cleared up the problem. :D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yes, definitely check the lines as well. When I had my RAV in the shop earlier this month the tech asked me if I'd noticed that the windshield washers weren't working right. I said, I haven't used those things in 6 or 7 months so no. Turned out the washer line had become disconnected under the hood.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My ol' '98 RAV was leaking wwf a week after I had it rustproofed. The rustproof solution ate thru the hose or the hose was knocked off during application......can't remember which......

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple hose disconnect is exactly what happened. :D

Yesterday morning I took some time to work on the car. All the nozzles where going but with a low flow. So I just popped the hood and then traced the line. Did not take long to find a leak on the nippled L connector under the hood that both hoses where very loose on.
They were easily displaced by the pressure and not by me or my mechanic.
As you can see in the pic I did an easy, quick and permanent fix with 2 small tie raps behind the nipples.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
zoomie said:
I'm not quite clear on what it is you did exactly. Can you describe the photo again?
What happened was that the water hose had disconnected from the water sprayer nozzle. Underneath the nozzle there is a 90 degree fitting that the hose attaches to. The hose had simply worked itself off, so Mionee67 simply reconnected the hose to the fitting and used a zip-tie to hold it in place, so that it will not slip off in the future. Hope that explains it better. :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zoome the pic was taken zoomed in under the hood on the passenger side.
The horizontal hose where the Tie (shown not tightened) goes to the nozzles on the hood and the Vertical hose (shown tightened with forceps clamps) runs down the hood, near the hinge and into the body to the pump and tank.

Walt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts